Re: Date format in HTML and XML export

In and HTML or XML export the dates come out as serial numbers (e.g. 07/07/1992 appears as 33792). Is there any way for me to modify the date format? If not, can I request that this is changed?

Many thanks.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

I think this can be done with a user defined function (see reply to dates query), however, it isn't something I have yet done.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Mike - I think you have mixed up your replies to these two topics (dates and ampersands). Anyway, thanks for the link to your LCReturnVagueDate function. I'm running Recorder 6 on SQL Server Express 2005 and have installed the function through SQL Server Management Tools ( I had to change "ALTER FUNCTION" to "CREATE FUNCTION" in the script.).

I haven't yet figured out exactly how to proceed further so I may come back with further questions. I'll give it some more thought first.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Mike

OK, I think I can see in principle how to use this function in an XML report. I've tried modifying one of your XML reports but can't seem to get the syntax right. Is it only necessary to modify the main SELECT statement?

If it's not too much trouble could you explain exactly how?  I've tried just inserting:

,dbo.LCVagueDateShort(s.vague_date_start,s.vague_date_end,s.vague_date_type) as Vague date,

into the statement.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Alan

If you have actually used  'Vague date'  and not vague_date as the field name this could be the problem. If this isn't it please let me know which report  you were trying  alter and I will adapt it for you as a demonstration. 

Mike

Mike Weideli

As long as the date is not before 1753, you can just use the SQL:

dateadd(day, s.vague_date_start, '1899-12-30')

This simply converts the numeric date value to a real date type in SQL Server. There's lots of info on vague dates on the Wiki at :
http://eim.metapath.org/wiki/index.php?title=Vague_Dates

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Alan

Just noticed that the function is actually dbo.LCReturnVagueShort so query should be 
dbo.LCReturnVagueDateShort(s.vague_date_start,s.vague_date_end,s.vague_date_type) as Vague_date,

Mike

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike - that explains why it couldn't find the function when I tried last night!

You've actually got it slightly wrong here; it should be:

dbo.LCReturnVagueDate(s.vague_date_start,s.vague_date_end,s.vague_date_type) as Vague_date

So, I've inserted this, modified the Main Table and Column Names, but I now get the error:

EXECUTE permission denied on object LCReturnVagueDate, database 'NBNData', schema 'dbo'

By the way, it's your "LC1Detailed Species List 1or10kmV2.xml" report  I'm experimenting with.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

I've just tried the method sugested by John Vandebreda

dateadd(day, s.vague_date_start, '1899-12-30')

and this works fine.

I would still like to understand what the problem is with running Mike's function however.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

I've just noticed one problem with the "dateadd" method. Actual "vague"  dates (e.g. "Feb 2003" or "2006") get rendered as precise dates (e.g. "1 Feb 2003"; "1 Jan 2006"). Is there a way round this?

Thanks

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Alan

I can see what has  happened now. I pointed you to the wrong file on the web site. The correct one was www.Lfield.Co.Uk/downloads/LCReturnVagueDateScript.zip. This should contain a script called  LCReturnVagueDateShort.  W ithin the script is a statement  to set the permission on the function  to public. The function you have installed should work, but you will need to manually change the permissions  to public. Incidentally neither will  work for centuries.

My script and the solution given by John are doing different things. John's solution is just converting the number to  a date which is fine if you are not using vague dates.  You also have  watch for dates of type U (unknown ) as these will report as 30/12/1899 unless you specifically allow for them. Also for dates before 1/1/1753 which it will not cope with. The most appropriate approach depends on your data.

Normally you don't need either method in XML reports as  they handle the vague dates. Export to Excel retains this formatting, but for some reason this isn't the case with exports to xml or html.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Mike

Thanks very much, this is working fine now. I had realised that the export to Excel works OK,  but I'm currently interested in export to XML for further manipulation.

My question now is - can the date format be fixed for reports generated out of the Report Wizard (as opposed to XML reports)?

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Incidentally, this has provided a very useful insight for me into the power of the programmability of SQL Server. Thanks.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

MSSQL 2005 actually goes much further and allows you to write .NET functions. Also, XML funtionality within MSSQL 2005 has been greatly improved.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital