Re: Smartphone data entry app

At the PTES we need a simple app that can be used for public participation and survey work across a range of habitats and species. Following a discussion with John van Breda, I propose all interested parties state their position with regards to development of an application that can be used on smart phones for field data entry of species and habitat data.

This technology is being developed by a number of companies that wish to charge a premium for its use, which is out of reach for many NGOs and small consultancy firms.

Please review/add to my initial thoughts on this proposal. If you are interested we can discuss the steps necessary to bring the project to fruition. John van Breda has expressed an interest in developing this resource both in person, and on this forum - two years ago!

Ideally it will:

- be based on Indicia technology

- automatically record most of the relevant data to complete an NBN record, such as GPS location, time, date, species etc., but also images if required.

- allow a simple data export for each organisation

- be relatively easy to develop a bespoke survey from a template.

- be developed for use on Android AND iPhones

- fulfill a much needed requirement in the biodiversity recording community and remove the need for many organisations to develop their own applications, saving money and duplication of effort

- spread the cost among the community

- encourage public participation

- automatically add records to the NBN database without the need for a separate data submission process, which is often not a priority for organisations

Kind regards,

Steve Oram

There is an application from Adit Limited for  android devices (Easy Recorder-www.aditsite.co.uk ) which allows data input in a simple, but effective format which I am using in the field. The main purpose for me is to record a position and taxa as quickly as possible, with minimum of additional information, which is what the Adit application does very well.  The emailed or exported file from the application  will import into  Recorder 6, via a Batch Update which I have developed for my own use, but which I can make available if required.  Easy Recorder cost only a few pounds and  is currently available with list for birds and butterflies and I understand to be made available shortly in a generic form which allows taxa to be added as required. I also undertsand that Adit are  working on developing the application for other platforms.

Mike Weideli

3 (edited by DavidChun 18-07-2012 22:28:53)

I had a go at this app. when it was first mentioned on the forum http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=2217. It allows new taxa to be added so it was possible to check it out in the field even though it doesn't cover my interest. A generic version would be useful.  It does, however, record only Lat/ Long and I suspect not the same version a used in Recorder as Lat/Long entered into Recorder seemed to give slightly wrong Grid Refs.   The Recorder import Wizard didn't seem to cope with the exported file, so having collected the data it seemed not to be of much use, even though I agree the application was easy to use and certainly would meet my needs. The main thing for me is that it is available now  and not something promised for the future so if the data can be extracted into Recorder it will prove of immediate use  I didn't think it would be possible to use a batch update to add records, but if there is one available I would be very interested in giving it a try.  Does it allow for the Lat/Long conversion or just assume that the differnce is snmall enough to ignore. ?

David

4 (edited by AndyRivers 22-07-2012 08:11:23)

I have looked at Adit website as mentioned above and searched the adroid apps. site for Easy Recorder, but with no sucess.  Plesae can someone point me in the right direction. I already use my phone as a note pad to record what I see, Seems like Easy Recorder would be ideal for my needs. Also is the generic version actually avialable or if not any idea when it will be ?

Andy
Here is a link to the Google Play page
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Adit+Limited
The generic version of the app should be published during the coming week

Hi

Many thanks. I will download one of the apps and have a play. What about the Recorder interface (I have the tools installed).

Andy

Andy

As the interface was just for my use, there is a bit of work to do to get it ready for  wider implementation  and I  need to do some documentation.  I hope to have something ready in the next few days.

Mike Weideli

All,

I have added my suggestion to this thread http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=3206 as Adit/Recorder doesn't address the needs as per my initial post.

Kind regards,

Steve Oram

PTES wrote:

- automatically add records to the NBN database without the need for a separate data submission process, which is often not a priority for organisations

I would suggest that this area would be a bit tricky given the way the current data submission / data upload process works with the NBN, if this were to happen "automatically" then you would also really need to make the corresponding changes to the dataset metadata as well. 

Additionally, while I can well see the benefit of a mobile phone application generating the required data for an NBN upload, I would suggest that, even for "easily recognised" species there would still need to be an element of data validation and data verification prior to allowing the data to be placed onto the NBN.

Matt

Matt,
I'm not entirely certain about the data submission process, but if an app that is widely used that at least submits data for verification without a separate process, this would benefit the records. Perhaps require photographic evidence, but that has server storage implications. This should include null records too, as we've discussed.

Steve

Hi There
WildKnowledge http://www.wildknowledge.co.uk have been making mobile recording apps for over 6 years and can do all of this...we can also offer the service for an affordable fee to NGO's etc.  The app is wildform (https://play.google.com/store/searchdform and fulfills the critera list except for Indicia, but we could do an automatic export relatively easily....am happy to discuss something in more detail with folks

- be based on Indicia technology - no

- automatically record most of the relevant data to complete an NBN record, such as GPS location, time, date, species etc., but also images if required. - yes

- allow a simple data export for each organisation - yes

- be relatively easy to develop a bespoke survey from a template - yes

- be developed for use on Android AND iPhones - yes (iphone just coming this month)

- fulfill a much needed requirement in the biodiversity recording community and remove the need for many organisations to develop their own applications, saving money and duplication of effort - yes

- spread the cost among the community - yes

- encourage public participation - yes

- automatically add records to the NBN database without the need for a separate data submission process, which is often not a priority for organisations - can be done

opps forget to mention - we also have a 'waiting for validation' facility so could wait for admins to validate sightings before exporting to Indicia

an example recording project we are working on with local people tracking lions in Kenya
http://www.wildknowledge.co.uk/news/2012/06/lion-watch/

14 (edited by AndyRivers 23-07-2012 18:08:10)

It would be very helpful if someone could put together a overview of the apps available . What they do, what they cost  and what they can interface with and how . Seems be a lot of people with systems which are nearly there but not necessarily doing all that is required, particularly interfacing with the sytems users might be using for recording. I certainly don't want my data going directly to the NBN  or for that matter into Indicia.  In the field I want something simple and I expect this is what most amateur recorders require - something to replace the notebook which can record an accurate position, but I appreciate that professional users may require something more complex. I can evaluate Easy Recorder, because it is relatively cheap and certainly worth trying, but even with this I can't get the data into Recorder or even into a spread sheet with grid refs. Hopefully this will be resolved, but at the moment nothing seems complete enough  to really be useful.

Andy

I am happy to give you a free trail on our Android version (it only costs £3.99 a year anyway)....do you have an Android or iPhone and I can set you up?..my email is neil@wildknowledge.co.uk if you want to send me your details
Neil

The Generic version of Easy Recorder has now been published
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=adit.generic
Feedback welcome as always.

The various components I am using to link Easy recorder to Recorder 6 are available at

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=ERtoR6Interface1.zip

I am not advocating the use of any particular app. just making available what I am using in case it is of use to others. 

Unzip the files into a suitable folder and read the instructions in the pdf before proceeding.

If anyone has any queries on this or needs any help, please could they start a new topic on the Recorder forum under How do I etc. .

Mike Weideli

Many thanks to  Neil at Wild Knowledge for your kind offer. I did try to get it,   but it appears  it isn't  compatible with my phone.

Easy Recorder plus the interface to R6 is now all working well though.

Andy

Hi Andy..can you advise on your device and I will check it out..think it may just be a new batch of android types that require a tweak in the code :) ...(if you don't mind bug testing for me we can send an update)

Easy Recorder UK Moths has just made it to Google Play (the Android App Store)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=adit.moths
Other 'Easy Recorder' titles can be found by following the 'See More' link, bottom left
The output data format is the same for all Easy Recorder apps, so should be compatible with Mike's import into R6

The first iOS (iphone, iPod) version of Easy Recorder is now available from the Apple appstore. It comes with a butterfly list, but you can add species as required.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-rec … 1&mt=8

The spreadsheet output format is the same as that from the Android version, so it should be possible to use Mike's import into R6.

I have 5 free vouchers (that let you download the app for free) to give away .....

RECORD - the LRC for the Cheshire region, now have an Android app for mobile recording available (Mobile RODIS).  See over at:  http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Unfortunately there seems to be no real information and it does not seem to be avaialble.

stevemcbill wrote:

RECORD - the LRC for the Cheshire region, now have an Android app for mobile recording available (Mobile RODIS).  See over at:  http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/

Steve

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

I've got as far as trialing my own android app written in basic. I had loaded 20,000 species names into it and found that although the predicitve text still worked it was too slow. This was common and scientific names. With smaller numbers it is workable and responsive. The next version is to be based on an .xml file with a slection of species from say a custom list for a survey or perhaps the species list from a location in Recorder or a Rucksack.

An app should be usable by a consultant so that records can be put into a report as well as effortlessly sent to a LRC.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

RODIS for mobile phones and tablets running the Android operating system is now available (released today - Wednesday 7th November 2012) from the Google App Store (see the link below).  This new app provides:

- The complete wildlife recording solution.
- Building on years of online wildlife recording expertise, RECORD brings you a revolutionary wildlife recording system.
- RODIS wildlife recording gives you the ability to record, manage and share wildlife sightings with some handy tools;
- Offline use of recognised UK and global species dictionaries with customisable recording lists.
- Pre-loaded offline maps allow easy navigation regardless of internet connection.
- Look up species description, conservation status, scientific classification, species distribution, habitat and more via Wikipedia, Google, Flickr,
  Wolfram Alpha, Arkive, NBN and GBIF.
- Take advantage of the in-built GPS in your device providing an accurate geo-reference.
- Offline maps let you pick geo-coordinates using Latitude and Longitude, OS grid reference, DMS, MGRS and UTM from anywhere in the world with
   over 1000 datums supported.
- Record species using pictures and/or audio recorded directly on your phone.
- Map your sightings
- Create a statistical breakdown of your sightings

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … dlrc.rodis

Cheers,

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/