Re: Bryophytes

Is there any time scale on getting the Bryophyte species list updated? There are a number of taxa in the recently published Red Data List for Wales that only exist in Recorder under old names or simply don't exist at all. The BBS have a fabulous spreadsheet that outlines the taxonomic changes and enables me to retro-fit data but I would rather not have to convert modern names to old names just to get records into the database.

Regards,
Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Surely it is time to start regular updates to the Dictionary and its elements once again - has the work in the rejigging of this area not been completed yet ??  It does appear to be taking an inordinate amount of time - sorry.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Very sorry for the frustration caused but, as you can see, I have started addressing the Forum issues and the jobs should be responded to more promptly from now on. :)

As a bit of background, Charles has been incredibly busy cleaning the existing data over the last year and some updates were processed but some of the very largest lists have not been imported as yet, due to Charles not having enough time to dedicate to them. Importing a list is the easy bit but it can take weeks of very intensive work to validate the data (both before and after the import) and then to do all of the necessary re-patching to the master taxonomic tables.

I hope to knock the most important list imports down one by one in the coming months and in any case I will keep everyone informed through this forum so that you can see what is being done down here :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)