Re: Platycheirus problems

We have noticed something a bit odd/wrong with two Platycheirus species  (diptera, syrphidae).  We have about a dozen records entered into our database as P peltatus, entered via excel spreadsheets.  If we run a report wizard search for P peltatus, we getthese species back named as P neilseni.
However, if we search fro P neilseni, nothing is returned, which is as it should be.  As far as I can establish from R6 and local experts, P neilseni is a northern species, a split from peltatus.  Thus there is no obvious reason why they should export as neilseni when we serach for peltatus.

Taxon version keys from NHM dictionary pages are:
Peltatus TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0000033188
synonyms...Musca timeo unavailable Harris, [1780] unavailable   TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0100022754
Platycheirus timeo unavailable (Harris, [1780]) unavailable   TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0000154171
Syrphus peltatus Meigen, 1822     TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0100022753

neilseni   TaxonVersionKey: NBNSYS0000006879

I assume ther is some crossed wire in the diptera dictionary somewhere which needs looking into.

Louise
CPERC

Louise

For some reason which I can't immediately see the Recorder 3.3 list has P.peltatus in twice. Once with a  taxon list item key of NBNSYS0000111237 and once with a key of NBNSYS0000084134.  The one with the key NBNSYS0000111237  points to a preferred  TLI key of NBNSYS0000084131 which is.P.neilseni. You can see this if you search in the R3.3 list for  Platycheirus peltatus where you will see three options. The top one is  P.peltatus the second one a synonym of P.neilseni and the third one the agg.  Just why this has been done this way is a mystery to me. I think you have probably used TLI key NBNSYS0000111237 for your input and this is why the problem is occuring. The best way would be to change the key for these to NBNSYS0000084134. If there aren't too many you could do this manually or a simple Batch update ot SQL query could be used. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike - thanks.  I will have to add that one to the To-Do list as we need to finish a big project - I think we will flag it for the project as an issue we know of, and fix it next month!

Louise