Re: Global Lepidoptera Names Index

Can anyone tell me how the Global Lepidoptera Names Index (search available on the Natural History Museum website) relates to the standard NHM Species Dictionary? We use the standard Species Dictionary lists within our data entry system. One of my colleagues could not find a couple of taxa (Epinotia paykulliana and Stomopteryx) on these standard lists but  then found them on the Global Index.

Many thanks,

Aisling

Aisling May (Carrick)
Data Manager - Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service)

The Global Index lists usages that have been used (and mis-used) globally, and can therefore be unhelpful in the UK context.

I find Kloet & Hinck's Checklist of British Insects more useful for tracking down elusive synonyms. But you would often need to know what reference book the recorder had been using, particularly if the record had been made in the 19th century as there seems to have been a large number of mis-uses of existing names (and authorities), and various other nomenclatural complications that I won't go into.

So your Strompoteryx' (sensu Auct.) is given by K&H as a synonym of Syncopacma Meyrick, 1925. And Epinotia paykulliana (Fab.) a synonym of Epinotia ramella (Linn.).

(I should mention that there is also a paykulliana sensu Haworth, which would indicate a Eucosma sp.; but I wouldn't think that would have been ascribed to the genus Epinotia - you'd need to check with a local moth expert who is familiar with the old names if you wanted to be sure - and if your recorder mentioned which reference book he used, you could compare the description of the moth - but my money would be on ramella).

Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks very much Richard.

Aisling

Aisling May (Carrick)
Data Manager - Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service)

The short answer is that there is no connection (or exchange of data) between LepIndex and the Species Dictionary. LepIndex may help with sorting out nomenclature but you are correct to use the the Species Dictionary as a basis for your Data Entry System. Our aim is to maintain a current list of recommended names within the Dictionary. However this is still the Bradley 2000 list and we are still looking for someone to take on the job of keeping our lists abreast of new records and name changes for Lepidoptera - new names that we receive are currently being put into the 'List of Additional Names'. My understanding is that  LepIndex also no longer being kept uptodate as the project funding has now ceased (it looks as though it was last updated in 2005).

Richard Weddle makes some valuable points. You might also find Fauna Europaea http://www.faunaeur.org/ and UBio http://www.ubio.org/ helpful in resolving names.

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile