1 (edited by Rob B 22-08-2006 15:45:19)

Re: Common species missing

Hello there,

We are in the process of digitising seasonal warden reports which include sheep and deer count data. Now the deer species are included in both Mammalia and Rec.3.3, however the only Sheep species we've found with R6 is for 'Feral Sheep- "Ovis ares". The breeds we deal with are Cheviots and Scottish Blackface, most of which are part of grazing projects but some are literally feral. Is there a taxonomic difference?

The other species we are concerned with is the Lapland Marsh Orchid. There are two varieties recorded, the spotted and non-spotted. I'm unable to see any other varieties within the taxon dictionaries, could someone provide some help with these?

Re: Common species missing

Rob,

I'll have to look into both parts of your enquiry and get back to you. Here are my initial thoughts though:

1) Sheep
As far as I'm aware, all UK sheep breeds are Ovis aries, so are taxonomically the same species. If you record them as this though then you'll lose information on which specific breed they are, which is probably undesirable.

Would it be useful to add a list of the breeds of UK farm animals to Recorder? It's a bit beyond my expertise, but I can look into it if you and others think that it will be beneficial.

2) Orchids
Taxonomy within the Orchidaceae is notoriously confusing! In the UK at least, BSBI consider the Lapland Marsh-orchid to be Dactylorhiza traunsteineri subsp. lapponica (of which D. lapponica is a synonym) and don't mention any varieties. I'll ask an expert...

John