Re: Useful books on XML and SQL

I was just wondering if anyone found any particular books useful for learning SQL and XML for reporting from Recorder. I know there is lots of info on here and the web but I find it handy to have something to refer to when I'm starting out.

I've currently got two on my desk:
Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 minutes by Ben Forta.
Beginning XML Databases by Gavin Powell.

Coincidentally these are the only two books on their respective subjects that were in stock in Maidstone library and hence they won't be on my desk forever! I haven't read them yet but they look OK. However, we may be able to find a few pennies to actually buy some books so I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

(A note on the level I'm at - I hadn't worked on databases at all until I started at the records centre. The closest thing to XML I know is LaTeX I guess (a mathematical mark up language).)

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

I like the Robert Vieira books on SQL Server. SQL Server 2005 Programming in particular I found excellent. But be prepared to spend some time reading it as it's pretty thick.

If you just want to learn the basics of SQL, then I'd recommend the SQLZoo online tutorial. This won't teach you about the full capabilities of SQL Server, though.

If you want a more general guide to relational databases, you can't do better than Database Design for Mere Mortals. I would definitely recommend this if you're just starting out with databases and want to learn the subject properly.

Regarding XML, you don't actually have to learn it, as such, in order to make use of XML Reports. There is really very little XML involved in XML Reports; it's more about learning the particular structure of XML Reports specifically. There's a great general guide on XML Reports to be found here.

The two things that really do need to be learned, though, are SQL and the Recorder data model. However, it can be difficult to learn the data model if you don't already have a solid grounding in relational databases, which is why I recommend Database Design for Mere Mortals.

Hope that's of some help. Good luck.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks very much Charles they sound very useful. :cool: I won't worry about XML apart from the reports for now then.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

The two books I find myself referring to most often are Inside Sql Server 2005:  T-SQL Quering and  Inside Sql 2005: T-SQL Programming. Both by Itzik Ben-Gan and published by Microsoft Press. There are some features new to SQL Server 2005 which will not work with MSDE, but both books cover the previosu way of doing things. XML reports and XML Batch Updates in Recorder use very little XML.  I think any basic book on XML would provide the necessary background.

Mike Weideli