Topic: Mollusc Query and iNaturalist

Chris,

Sorry for this but I have a query which has been thrown up by iNaturalist (it is being used for the Greenspace Challenge by Merseyside BioBank).  I have bulk uploaded a set of records taken at Crosby Beach in Merseyside (mostly mollusc records) to iNaturalist - one of the species involved was Ensis directus which, on uploading, has been changed by iNaturalist to Ensis leei.  Checking WORMS shows Ensis directus to be a synonym of Ensis leei BUT the UKSI seems to suggest that Ensis leei is an ill-formed name.

Any idea what might be the issue here ??  IS E.leei an ill-formed name or should it be a synonym of E.directus or should E.directus be a synonym of E.leei ??

Thanks for any help/clarification you can provide.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

2 (edited by stevemcbill 05-04-2019 08:57:35)

Re: Mollusc Query and iNaturalist

Chris,

I made contact with iNaturalist and they responded indicating that they follow WoRMS and that Ensis leei is the correct name.  I went to the WoRMS siet and found the following entry:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WoRMS name details
Ensis directus (Conrad, 1844) sensu Abbott, 1954

AphiaID

140732  (urn:lsid:marinespecies.org:taxname:140732)
Classification

Biota Animalia (Kingdom) Mollusca (Phylum) Bivalvia (Class) Heterodonta (Subclass) Euheterodonta (Infraclass) Imparidentia (Superorder) Adapedonta (Order) Solenoidea (Superfamily) Pharidae (Family) Ensis (Genus) Ensis directus (Species)

Accepted Name:  Ensis leei M. Huber, 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the above it would appear they are correct and that the UKSI entry of Ensis directus should be changed to Ensis leei and that E.directus should become a synonym of E.leei.

Hope that helps - sorry if it confuses matters further for you.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Re: Mollusc Query and iNaturalist

Hi Steve, thanks for the research, that does help indeed. I'll look into that and possibly also modify the directus name for be directus sensu Abbot, 1954 (as WoRMS has it)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)