Topic: inconsistency in species name

Not sure if this should be posted here or in Recorder bugs, depending on whether the error is the Species Dictionary or Recorder6!

There appears to be a problem with Sparganium erectum (don't know how many other species are affected)

If you enter a record as "Sparganium ramosum":
The left panel of the Occurrences window displays 'Sparganium erectum' which is correct, however,
on using Recommended Taxon Name w/o Sub-genus in a report it displays 'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum' which is a precision not present in the original record, nor in the version visible within the Recorder windows!

On further checking:
*Recommended Taxon Name without Sub-Genus =  'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum'
*Recommended Taxon Name =  'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum'
*Recommended Taxon Name/Attribute = 'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum'
*Recommended Taxon Name Attribute = null
*Recommended Taxon Name/Attribute no sub genus =  'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum'
*Taxon Latin Name/Attribute =  'Sparganium erectum' except 2 records for the sub-species!
*Taxon Latin Name =  'Sparganium erectum' except 2 records for the sub-species! (same two recs)
*Taxon Latin Name/Attribute no sub gen.  =  'Sparganium erectum' except 2 records for the sub-species! (same two recs)
*Taxon Attribute = null except the two above records which are 'nom. illegit.'
*Taxon Latin Attribute = null except the two above records which are 'nom. illegit.'
*Taxon Name = 'Sparganium ramosum'
*Full Recommended Taxon Name = 'Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum L.'

I'm guessing the difference in the two entries is a S.ramosum off a different list (not sure which were used - not easy to work out which list was used)

I think there is some problem with the dictionaries and definitely a problem deciding which is the "preferred" column to use!!!!

So what is the difference between Taxon Name and Latin Name and Taxon Latin Name??
Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: inconsistency in species name

Hi Craig

I think that might be a UKSI problem ... I have ramosum (species) as a junior synonym of "Sparganium erectum subsp. erectum L.", which doesn't look right so I will move it to be a junior synonym of "Sparganium erectum L.".

Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)