Topic: Missing moss

Hamatocaulis vernicosus (Drepancladus vernicosus) - can't find it anywhere in R6 species dictionaries. Should be there, no?

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Missing moss

OK, so it is there but it's not searchable via the 'find' tool. Doing an unrestricted search for 'Hamatocaulis' gives no results, but I can find it in the Bryophyte dictionary by browsing or by using the 'go to key' tool and using the TVK. It doesn't appear in the Organism tree.

Looks like there's summat up wi' t' species dictionary...

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

I'm guessing that's because NHM consider it a redundant organism? (i.e. recorder is hiding it from normal usage). Not sure what the implications/repercussions are for the organism or records of, though.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

It's certainly not redundant on the NBN atlas and has plenty of records against it... suspect there's something odd in R6 somewhere. It's not fully hidden, it's in the main bryophyte list. You just can't search for it!

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

AFAIK redundant means that it shouldn't be used "from this point forward" - hence why it's not easily accessible within Recorder. But I would have thought most species shouldn't be marked as redundant (because of synonyms). I've read in previous posts that the redundant flag is mostly used for higher level groupings.

One for Chris and Mike..... I note the JNCC say "are [a] taxonomically difficult and the group has recently been revised"

It's also showing in the report wizard as "can not expand" which may mean it's a hang over from this bug https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6720 ?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks Charlie - that last issue also came to mind when I was looking at this.

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

I'm certainly happy to resurrect it, if there is a chance that it is required for recording purposes. Normally Redundant is only used where the species is an "exotic" or just a bad/confusing concept. :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

8 (edited by DGERC 03-11-2017 11:29:43)

Hi Chris

I know b@gger all about bryophyte taxonomy so have no idea whether the concept should or shouldn't be redundant! The species is listed as a key species in the Ayrshire LBAP, so wanted to use the taxon concept in a custom designation set. That's when I noticed the 'odd' behaviour. The way the species is being presented (or not) in R6 is, to my eyes, very confusing.

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)