1 (edited by Rory Tallack 19-04-2016 08:58:04)

Topic: Taxonomic order issue

I'm not sure if this is something that's been covered before, or whether we are doing something obviously wrong! When we run reports and specify the sort order as "taxonomic order", the resulting species lists are not in taxonomic order, going from bryophytes to vascular plants and back to bryophytes again, for example. Is there a way to produce species lists in true taxonomic order?

Many thanks,

Rory

Rory Tallack
North Shetland Ranger
Shetland Biological Records Centre

Re: Taxonomic order issue

I agree this is annoying. My understanding from previous posts is that it is due to the NHM trying to accommodate two different classification systems within the Taxonomic hierarchy. Surely for the benefit of everyone one or other should be selected.

Re: Taxonomic order issue

Hi Rory / David

Are you using Recorder6? If you are then it might be worth aiming that at Mike Weideli because he looks after the software that uses my data. If there is anything I can do at my end then I will try but I know Mike has been working on ordering the taxonomy correctly and it is something I plan to bring in to the UKSI's ORGANISM table when I get a chance.

Best wishes,
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)