Re: Location validation for data entry

Hi

Having run into some problems, I am trying to work out if my approach is sensible or whether there is a better way to do this.

I am attempting to prevent users from adding records to a location unless the grid reference refers to a point at that location.

The approach I have been using is to add all the 1K grid squares for a location into the Geo Info - Grid Squares section for that location. However this has run into problems for large sites, where I get error messages if I attempt to add large numbers of grid squares (although Sarah has not been able to replicate this problem).

Another idea I tried was to add a boundary to the Geo Info - Boundaries for the location, but this did not seem to enforce the restrictions on data entry I had been hoping for (possibly either because I didn't do it correctly, or because it has not been designed to do this?).

Has anyone else tried to do something like this, and what sort of solutions have they come up with?

Ultimately I would also like to be able to run a query that would find any records whose spatial references do not fall within the location they claim to be at, although this would probably be easier via an export to MapInfo. I also assume that data added using the Import Wizard could bypass any location restrictions envisaged here.

Thanks

Gordon

NB. At the main level the locations need to match other databases so can't be split, although there are sub-sites. The largest location covers approx 100 sq km

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Hi Gordon,

Without details of the problem its difficult to suggest if it can be easily fixed. A couple of points, you are correct in that there is no validation to ensure records fall within a boundary specified on the Boundaries tab, only grid squares. But if you draw a boundary it is possible to use the automatic tools to convert these into a list of 1Km grid squares, so you would then get the validation you need.

Another point is that the next release of Recorder will feature the ability to run XML reports which are linked to polygons. It should be relatively simple for someone with the right skills to write a report that lists any samples that fall outside the polygon of a location but are supposed to be in the location.

Hope that help!

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John

I didn't know about the automatic tools for grid squares, which should save a lot of time. This leads on to another question: Is there a way to automate the association between locations and boundaries? All the boundaries (>1000) I would want to use will be in 1 (possibly 2) MapInfo files and the property number in the MI table has already been stored in Recorder in the File Code field,  so if I could connect them automatically it would save more time.

Gordon

(The original problem was at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=562, but if I don't need to add by hand then that's it solved)

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust