Topic: Report for first winter dates

Hi!

Is there a way that you could produce a report for the first winter dates of a taxonomic group? Say if you were counting in September for Wildfowl?

I have tried entering the parameter of between September and December on the Report wizard but it doesn't seem to like this,

Greatly appreciated!

Sophie

Re: Report for first winter dates

The report wizard can't do this  Best it can do is to report on a date range. An XML report could do it. If it doesn't turn out to be too complicated I could do something for you, but need a better understanding of what you are trying to do and what you need in the output.

Mike Weideli

Thank you for replying, I didn't think it was able to.

That's a very kind offer! I'm trying to produce a report where the first winter dates (in the WeBS period so September onwards) for wildfowl arriving at a site are. But where it gets complicated is that many birds will also be present in the summer, so we only want the first date in 'winter' that has a higher number than those seen in the last month of summer, here being 'July'.

I'm not sure if this is going to be too complicated to write an XML file for, it might just be a data sifting job that I have to sit and do

Almost anything can be done in an XML report. I am assuming thiw has nothing to do with years. That is to say you are interested in the earliest day/month in winter that the species has been seen, over all the years ? What are you looking for in the output ? Just a species name and the first winter date ? You  mention site, so is the report for a  specific site or for all sites ?. I don't know how our  data is structured - is a site identified by a Location in the Location Hierarchy ?

Mike Weideli

The site is identified in the location hierarchy, though we would like to be able to apply the report to different sites.

I should have mentioned years, we would like this to be done for every year that we have records for. i.e. the first date for x species in the winter in every year

Attached is my first attempt at an XML report to do this. This isn't working correctly on September dates, but at this stage I just need to know if this  is along the right lines. With R6 closed copy it into your R6 reports folder. Open R6 and it should appear in Report/Run under the LC menu.

Post's attachments

LC_First_Wnter_date.xml 2.09 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-02-11 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thanks for sending that over, I'm afraid an error popped up when I then tried to open Recorder that said: The XML custom report " LC_First_Wnter_date.xml" could not be parsed. Error details: The XML custom Report definition is incorrect. There is a problem parsing the WhereClauses section of the XML file.

Sorry for all the trouble

Just wonder if this is because you are not on the version of Recorder this report uses. Which version are you on ?  Suggest you remove the previous one and try this one.  Also fixed the September date problem.

Mike Weideli

That one worked! Is there a way that I could select this report to run for a selected site though?

Thank you

If this is basically what you want  I can make it run as a quick report from a site. Will put up a new report in a few minutes

Mike Weideli

This version should run as a quick report on a selected Location. Replace the file you have with this one. Find the location in the Location hierarchy. Right click on it and select LC and the report. It will just produce the report for the selected location.

Post's attachments

LC_First_Winter_date.xml 3.93 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-11 

Mike Weideli

Brilliant, now I can select it via location! But there are multiple dates for one year now for each species? We only want the first date and the abundance, so one record a year for each species,

Thank you!

I have had a go at  fixing this and adding the abundance. Adding abundance makes this considerably more complicated so you need to check it carefully.

Post's attachments

LC_First_Winter_date.xml 6.07 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-14 

Mike Weideli