Re: Fungi species not present

Good morning,.

Current dilemma regards Fungi recording. There is another thread regrding the related species, but that's a different story. I've been doing some recent data-entry & was wondering whether the dictionary what was missing from the 6.7 upgrade includes some fungi species. I'm finding them online at nhm or 'catalogue of life' and mostly are the most up-to date species name.

I am extremely relucant to add species of which I have scant knowledge so am currently simply deleting the line with the wizard, but this is an imperfect solution. could someone define which families are missing from the dictionary upgrades please?

Rob
Could you give me a few examples please that I could chase through. I know there is quite a bit of work in the fungi area of the dictionary at the moment.
Steve

Hi there Steve,

The missing species/synonyms are:

Clavaria cristata -as is gives no hits as there are about 7 subspecies based around Clavulina coralloides

Lachnum luteovinosum- accepted name

Ptychogaster albus-accepted name

Pleurotus ostreatus-accepted name

These are missing from Fungi & Lichen; British Mycological Society GB Checklist of fungal names and Rec.3.3

Byrophytes:

Campylopus introflexus-Accpted name

Not many, as you can see, but it's a wee bit tedious tracking them down online. There are also frequent species which don't appear to exist but are recorded, so I use a combination of the NHM, 'Catalogue of life' & google-search on any language.

Cheers now, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I've had a look at your examples and the fungi names will all be available before long - I'm currently working on an update for the BMS checklist, which will contain all of the names that you're after. I should be able to complete the work within the next 2-3 weeks.

Campylopus introflexus should definitely be in though. Would you be able to check that is missing? If it is then we'll need to look into why.

Cheers,
John

John Tweddle
Data Manager, NBN Species Dictionary Project

John,

It's ok regarding Campylopus introflexus, it's present on the following 5 lists:
Rec 3.3
Bryophytes
BRC coded
BRC record card 0820
Environmental Agenct checklist

Cheers now, Rob.

To answer some of these,

If there are problems with fungal names, check them out on the Fungus Records Database for the British Isles (FRDBI) as this is more up to date and will form the basis for an updated list in the NBN Species Dictionary. This also includes all the taxonomy used in the recent Checklist of the Basidiomycetes of the British Isles which is partly but not fully included in the current BMS list in Recorder. The comments below are based on the dictionary held in this database.

The preferred name for Clavulina cristata is now Clavulina coralloides (L.) J. Schröt. Note that if you search for Clavulina cristata in the British Mycological Society list in Recorder, you are offered Clavulina cristata (Holmsk.) J. Schröt. as one of the synonyms which is correct. So there should not be a problem here.

The accepted name for Ptychogaster albus is Postia ptychogaster (F. Ludw.) Vesterh., but unfortunately, this name is currently not in the list either but another one of the synonyms of Postia ptychogaster (Ceriomyces albus) is on the list.....

Lachnum luteovinosum is not on the current list and has no current synonyms according to the FRDBI so add this species for now yourself as a temporary name (dictionaries - edit taxon details)

Pleurotus ostreatus is on the BMS list so should be selectable without a problem.

Best wishes

David Mitchel