Re: Lepidoptera and Beetle checklists - queries

Can anyone tell me why there are no entries in the following list 'Checklist of Beetles of the British Isles (Andrew Duff...)' in Recorder 6? If you search using the NHM online Species Dictionary however, you can access entries on this list.

Also, I have been made aware of two potential spelling mistakes in the 'Checklist of Lepidoptera Recorded from the British Isles (Second Edition; Bradley, 2000)' as available within Recorder 6/through the NHM online search - namely that Epinotia brunnichana should be Epinotia brunnichiana, and that Eupithecia absinthiata form goosensiata should be Eupithecia absinthiata form goossensiata. I'm not sure if this has already been noted?

Many thanks

Aisling

Aisling May (Carrick)
Data Manager - Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service)

Once data has been added to the dictionary, e.g. by running the dictionary upgrade kit that came with version 6.9.3.102, you must rebuild the taxon indexes by running each of the following in turn:
Tools – Database Tools – Rebuild Taxon Group Index (approx. 5 minutes)
Tools – Database Tools – Rebuild Taxon Name Index (approx. 9 minutes)
Tools – Database Tools – Rebuild Taxon Synonym Index (approx. 20 minutes)

The timings are from a PC with a 3 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM.

After a dictionary upgrade the new items, like the Beetles list in the latest upgrade, and amendments will be in the Recorder 6 database but you will not be able to use them until the indexes are rebuilt. The increase in the size of the database as a result of running the upgrade kit will give some indication of the amount of data added.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Aisling,

Many thanks for pointing out the potential spelling errors.

Whilst both Epinotia brunnichana and Epinotia brunnichiana are in use, the former is the correct spelling (e.g. see the Global Lepidoptera Names Index; http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/lepindex/index.html), so will be retained in the Dictionary. I'll correct the spelling for Eupithecia absinthiata form goossensiata though - thanks for spotting this.

With regard to beetles, note that the list as currently included within Recorder only covers around half of the UK beetle families - the remainder will be added in the next update.

John

Dr John Tweddle
Data Manager, NBN Species Dictionary Project