Re: Imported species vs matched species

Hi,

Could somebody please confirm for me if it is possible in Recorder 6.16 to see a species name as it was on an import file, as well as the species name that it was matched to during import?

This previous forum topic http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1690 seems to say that you can but when I look at the  Taxon in the Determination box and then the Taxon field within the Details box, they appear the same when I know that I had to select a synonym.

Mike Beard
Natural Course Project Officer
Greater Manchester Local Records Centre

If you can run queries in Management Studio you will be able to look up a species name as it was on an import file using the name that it was matched to during import but this information isn’t permanently linked to the observation. Entries in the remembered matches (IW_Matched_...) tables can be deleted and different names in import files could be matched to the same entry. The query is:

SELECT IWMSp.Matched_Value, IWMSp.Matched_Key, ITN.ACTUAL_NAME, ITN.COMMON_NAME, ITN.PREFERRED_NAME, IWMSp.Match_Checklist_Key, TL.ITEM_NAME
FROM IW_Matched_Species IWMSp
INNER JOIN INDEX_TAXON_NAME ITN ON IWMSp.Matched_Key = ITN.TAXON_LIST_ITEM_KEY
INNER JOIN TAXON_LIST TL ON IWMSp.Match_Checklist_Key = TL.TAXON_LIST_KEY
WHERE (ITN.ACTUAL_NAME Like 'Hercostomus%')

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Thanks for the answer Sally, and the query.  Unfortunately I do not have access to SQL Management Studio so my hands are a bit tied.

Considering the complex twists and turns that occur over time with species taxonomy and the plethora common names, is there any mileage in the idea of having the name as imported as an initial determination.  Ideally it would not have to be matched to a dictionary?  And then the dictionary matched determination being made the preferred one?

Mike Beard
Natural Course Project Officer
Greater Manchester Local Records Centre

As I said on the phone, you could write an xml report to run this query. The Help includes a brief introduction to writing XML reports – see Tasks – Reporting. There is, however, more information on the Recorder Wiki, and Mike Weideli has made more available via his web-site – see www.lfield.co.uk/page7a.html .

If you want to import the names in the import file you could copy the column and import it into separate field like Taxon Determination Comment, provided you aren’t using that for something else. The Help lists the 40 different column types you can have in import files.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687