Re: [XML Report] Get species designation

[Download Get Designations XML Report]

I've just uploaded a new XML Report to the files section called Get Designations. It returns all designations for the selected taxon. Simply drop it into your %RECORDER%\User Files\Reports\ directory and restart Recorder. You should then be able to right-click a taxon, then select Quick Reports > Species Reports > Get Designations.

I hope to improve this XML Report at some point to enable selection of a location, which will return a list of designations for species found at that location; enable selection of an occurrence to get its designations and so on.

Let me know if you find any erroneous results or if you have any suggestions for improvement or even if you simply found it useful.

Charles

As a first foray into XML reporting I've just tried this out and it works fine from the Taxon Dictionary window - and yes, it is useful. It would be nice, if as you propose, one could access the report from a Taxon Occurrence in the Observatiosn window, and also from the Reports menu on the menu bar, entering the taxon name as a parameter.

I'm interested to what controls on which menus an XML report like this occurs. I can see there is the XML attribute "menupath"  to the CustomReport  element. It's set to = "Species Report" in this case. But how does Recorder "know" to only show this report under "Species Reports" in certain contexts?

I see Darwyn Summers is offering some tutorials on XML reports. Is there no other documentation available at the moment?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Here's a challenge! Using the taxon dictionary browser in Recorder 6 (i.e. front end only) find the species Plebicula golgus and then use your XML species designation report on it (which incidentally is very useful).

Plebicula golgus in fact has four designations but the XML report only picks up one at a time - the designation depends on which of the four lists you found it on.

This raises a couple of issues: 1) why isn't there a way of being able to search through all lists when you don't know a species and 2) there are sometimes different designations attached to the same species on different lists - if you are to list all the designations of a species it is necessary to pool the data from  the different lists. Taxon designations certainly are a can of worms!

Bob Saville

Bob,

There is a proposed development to search across lists on the Future Developments page - CCN141.  Unfortunately this has not been funded yet.

You are right - designations are attached at a list specific level.  So if you want to see all designations for a species, you need to look for all designations for any of the other instances or synonyms on other lists.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John

Glad that it's in the pipeline.

I think it would be particularly useful if there were a way of flagging 'preferred' species designations (much as with preferred species name). For example some species are flagged as UKBAP short list, others have UKBAP Priority Species. In this case the short list term has been superceded by Priority Species which would be the preferred designation. There is also the common situation where, because of new fieldwork, the status of a species has been re-evaluated.  For example, what was once considered as an RDB species may now only rate as Nationally Scarce. Clearly we want to work with the most up-to-date statuses so there needs to be a way of flagging the preferred status for individual species.

What is the feasibility of implementing this?

Bob Saville

Bob,

It would be a fairly simple change to add a checkbox to the status record to flag it as preferred.  I guess this is something that should be populated by the checklist author rather than the Recorder user - do you agree?  However, could most of this requirement not be covered by using the From and To dates for a status so that old statuses can be labelled as such?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I've just had a quick look at this and there are only 260 rows (out of 23552) in our TAXON_DESIGNATION table with a DATE_TO, which would indicate that nearly all of the designated taxa in our db are 'current', i.e. their designations haven't expired. This looks to me as if the DATE_TO simply hasn't been populated; is this the case? If so, who's resposibility is it to maintain these data?

I agree that excluding designations that have expired from reports by using the DATE_TO as a filter would be a useful and accurate way of doing designation reporting, but that doesn't exclude the usefulness of a means of marking a designation as preferred. In other words, many people still use and think in terms of expired designation, so we still need to include some of them in reports.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

When the fairly recent JNCC Vascular Plant Red Data List was published I wanted to find out whether the designations superseded Nationally Scarce. I spoke to a number of the authors and got different answers according to who I spoke to! I finally got a definitive answer from the editor Christine Cheffings that they are two different types of designation, so some species will continue to be Nationally Scarce even though they have been downgraded in the Red List.

Consequently I think we need to definitively assign designations to designation 'kinds'. The TAXON_DESIGNATION_TYPE table contains a field KIND which potentially could have this role (it isn't used in this way currently e.g. Priority Species are assigned to 'BAP' whereas short, medium & long lists are assigned to 'BioLists'. If designations were assigned to 'kinds' then it would be possible to use date fields (that indicate the period the designation operates between) in the table to assign the preferred designation.

That gets around the issue of changing names of designations, but what about when the same designation system is used but the species status is updated? I think we need to have an additional linked table of the publications that list species statuses. So the date (2005) of the Vascular Plant Red Data List would be used to assign the currently preferred publication source - in 10 years time, following the review of further fieldwork the new publication (assuming the designations are of the same 'kind') would become the preferred source and the statuses assigned to the species in it would become the preferred designations.

What do you think?

Incidentally, I agree with Charles that we do need to have a system that reports both the current preferred designations as well as all the historical designations.

Bob Saville

Following on from the last message - realised I was being a bit stupid! I said about having to create a new table that includes publications that list species designations but of course we already have it - the TAXON_LIST table! Just need to add in a couple of extra fields for the suggested approach to work.

Bob Saville
Lothian Wildlife Information Centre

Bob,

I'm just trying to resolve the different designations on different lists issue and I can't find any taxa for which this occurrs. I've had a look at Plebicula golgus and it doesn't appear to be linked together through the nameserver (there are indeed 5 of them in the dictionary, but they all link via their RECOMMENDED_TAXON_LIST_ITEM_KEY to themselves, rather than to an actual recommended TLI). So, could this be why all of the designations aren't being returned for this taxon?

To test this theory, has anyone else got any taxa that have different designations for different checklists?

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Charles

I've just had a check and there are about 300 species that have different designations on different checklists. A good example is Najas flexilis.

Bob Saville
Lothian Wildlife Information Centre