1 (edited by adhale 22-03-2007 17:32:28)

Re: More on the snapshot tool and MapInfo

Last year I posted on the documentation WIKI a guide to using the snapshot tool to export and map data in MapInfo GIS http://eim.metapath.org/wiki/index.php? … to_MapInfo . Since writing this I have moved my copy of Recorder 6 to SQLServer Express 2005 and realised there are additional complications on this platform. I also have realised that in my original article I omitted any mention of the MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG table.

In order for MapInfo to make an ODBC table mappable, it must first create an additional table, MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG, on the database. This table registers various details required by MapInfo relating to the mapped tables. With MSDE there is no great problem - you just run the DBMS Catalog tool in Mapinfo and the MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG table is created. Due to the additional security features of SQL Server 2005 things are not quite as simple as this - if you try it, you get an error message to say "The schema name "MAPINFO" does not exist or you do not have permission to use it".

The way I have got round this is to firstly register my windows system account as a server level login, then enable that on my snapshots database. Then I've created a new schema MAPINFO on the snapshots database, made my Windows account the owner, and conferred insert, update,delete and select permissions. Mapinfo is then able to create MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG and make tables exported to the snapshot database from Recorder mappable.

My understanding of SQL Server admin is rudimentary so I would appreciate any comments before I amend the WIKI article. For instance, do I actually need to register my Windows account or woudl one of the existing logins do?

Many thanks

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Well, I've answered my own question to some extent in that (by trial and error) I've found that all I need to do is make dbo the owner of the MAPINFO schema. No need to register any additional logins or users.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

I've just uploaded the revised version to http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?fi … 0Final.doc. Any comments very welcome. John Vandebreda - would you replace the version on the WIKI with this one please when you have the opportunity - many thanks.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth