Re: Araneus alsine designations

The spider Araneus alsine is not exported with any taxon designation. 

http://srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal.php/p/Summary/s/Araneus+alsine gives it as Nb.

M

Hi Murdo,
The species designations collation database may need updating. I will add this to the list.
Thanks,
Mary

I've been told by JNCC in the past that the national statuses given in the 1990 review of spiders are now considered out of date, and thus are not included in the JNCC spreadsheet of designations, which may explain why they're not in Recorder?

Martin Harvey
Biological Records Centre
CEH Wallingford

Thanks, Martin.  These RDB lists have always been a bit of a problem, I have found.  I have used the Nb designation (on the precautionary principle) in a piece of work I am doing which ought to see the habitat recognised and maybe even protected.

M.

Given that, like atlases, species rarity/decline assessments go out of date as soon as they are published I would prefer to make use of a older list than not use a list at all, providing the appropriate caveats are in place and sensible interpretations are made in the light of whatever new data is available. I suppose problems arise when such lists are used in a mechanical way without understanding the complexities and subtleties that lie behind them.

Martin Harvey
Biological Records Centre
CEH Wallingford