Re: Claviceps purpurea

Search for Claviceps purpurea on the Gateway, and three taxa are returned:  Claviceps purpurea the species, and the two vars purpurea and spartinae.

Logic suggests that records of the two vars should be displayed in the species map, but they are not (there are many more var. purpurea dots than C. purpurea).

I think I have seen other taxa where the same thing happens.  It is unhelpful, and I can see no advantage in the current display.

M.

A bit more research, and the situation is even more confusing.  In R6, if you record C. purpurea (species), it defaults to var. purpurea.  So why do we have the two maps on NBNG?

Then, of course, in R6 if you ask for a report on C. purpurea (species) and expand the taxonomic groups in the hope of capturing all vars, you do not get C. p. var. spartinae.

This is not the way it should work, and the mismatch between the way R6 and NBNG deal with it is confusing - since both are supposed to be using the same dictionary.

Murdo

Hello Murdo

Looking at the species dictionary Claviceps purpurea and its 3 varieties all occur in the preferred British Mycological Society list and so they should all displayed on one map when searching Claviceps purpurea. I will alert Charles Hussey to this post

Best wishes

Graham

Thanks Graham.  I said above that I suspected other similar cases, and have just confirmed that for Neuroterus quercusbaccarum (and I would bet a bundle of other gall wasps are in the same situation).  A load of dots of the agamic form are missing from the species map (in NE Scotland).  The situation with gall-causers (see my other posts over the past months) seems totally unsatisfactory.

M.