Re: TVKs missing from NameServer?

In the Index_Taxon_Name table, there are five entries for the seaweed 'Enteromorpha intestinalis', each with different recommended Taxon_List_Item_Keys. Of these, only one is a recommended_TLIK in the NameServer.

The Recommended_Taxon_Version_Key for this entry (NHMSYS0000602396) is itself not in the NameServer as a possible Input_TVK.  I presume this is an oversight?

I've just done a quick check and there is one other recommended TVK that does not have a corresponding Input_TVK entry - NHMSYS0000345863. I've no idea what this is.

I presume that these have just been missed as it seems odd to have a preferred TVK that is not available as a possilbe input_TVK.

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

The other one is Water-soldier (Stratiotes aloides).

Dave Slade

Dave,

I think that you may have to wait for someone from the Recorder Team to respond, since Recorder implementsthe Namerserver in a subtly different way from how it is used in the Species Dictionary - and also make greater use of TLIKs in place of TVKs. The mappings within the Species Dictionary appear correct. By the way, the recommended name for Enteromorpha intestinalis is now Ulva intestinalis!

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks Charles

Dave Slade

Has anyone from the Recorder team looked at this yet?

Dave Slade

Is there any reason why I can't add my own entries into the Nameserver? I know I will need to repeat this process every time update the dictionary, but these TVKs missing from Nameserver mess up other processes in my databases.

Dave Slade

NameServer is only a route to Index_taxon_name so if you adding or changing anything it would be best to change/added to  Index_Taxon_Name. This might mean a few more entries, but you could generate them from  your  proposed  changes to NameServer.  This way the changes will always be undone when ITN is regenerated. The problem with changing NameServer will be that JNCC upgrades may react with your change in an unpredictable way. If changing NameServer  proves the easiest approach for you then I suggest that you reverse your changes prior to applying a JNCC upgrade, or take a copy of the table and restore it prior to the upgrade.

I think that with both Inderx_Taxon_name and NameServer you will need to work using SQL Management Tools and not in Access or XML reports.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike
I find working with Taxon_Version_Keys much simpler than Taxon_list_Item_keys - not least because that is what Gateway requires, therefore Index_Taxon_Name doesn't really do what I want.

It sounds to me as though the simplest way to produce the results I want is to create my own equivalent of Nameserver. That way I don't interfere with the normal running of Recorder and the update process, but at the same time have control over the 'preferred names'.

Regards,
Dave

Dave Slade

In which case it would definitely be better if you found a way of reversing the changes, before applying any upgrade. 

Mike

Mike Weideli

I appreciate your concerns Mike, but I would be creating a new table (in another database) so that I don't need to make any changes in Nameserver, or indeed in Recorder at all. We don't do any reporting from within Recorder, it all goes into another database to be linked to MapInfo.

Dave Slade