Re: Progress update - version 6.9.3 and Recorder 6 Development Plan

Further information regarding the release of version 6.9.3 and an update of the Recorder 6 Development Plan

The testing of Recorder 6 version 6.9.2 is now complete and we expect the new subsequent version (version 6.9.3) to be ready for release by late October. In addition to the extra functionality mentioned previously, and additional compatibility with SQL Server 2005, version 6.9.3 will also include a large amount of bug fixes.

For more information of the bug fixes that will be included in V6.9.3 so far, and those in version 6.9.2 reported recently to Dorset Software, please refer to ‘Release Notes V6.9.2 V2’ and ‘Problems reported to Dorset Software V2’ at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php for details.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank everyone involved in the recent testing of Recorder 6 for their substantial efforts, and feel that version 6.9.3 will be much improved as a result of everyone’s hard work.

Following release of version 6.9.3 the focus for the remaining financial year is to maintain and consolidate the existing Recorder 6 package. This will mean developing a subsequent version that will provide fixes to any further bugs reported. At the moment we estimate this will be released around February 2007, provided that no critical problems with version 6.9.3 become apparent.

In the interim, we aim to provide regular updates to the taxon dictionary and will continue to work on a number of key areas of improvement in Recorder. It is envisaged that we will supply dictionary updates for Recorder 6 roughly every month (dependent upon the amount of changes required), and also plan to create a separate dictionary update for Recorder 2002 users (this area of work has not yet been scoped).

The key areas of improvement we are going to work on are;

-    Revision of Addins
-    Investigation of Data Transfer issues/steps to solve these
-    Installation Guide improvement
-    Getting Started Guide and Help file improvement

For further details please refer to the preliminary copy of Phase 2 of the Recorder 6 Development plan, see ‘Outline of Recorder 6 Development Plan 03 Oct 06’ available at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php.

As the work involved in resolving these issues is expected to be relatively large, we do not intend to make any changes to the core product (the Recorder 6 program itself) during phase 2.

In the meantime I will continue to provide regular updates on our progress here on the Announcements page of the forum.

Thank you once again,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Has the bug related to exporting data I reported been fixed? The following was the issue:

I have an export filter set up that filters on a subset of surveys.

I then use that export filter using the option to export all records made since the last time the filter was run (using NBN Access database)

It runs through the process and creates the exported zip file.

If I then go into the exported zip file and open that mdb that the export creates, it includes records from all the surveys I have got since the last date the export was run and not just from the export filter subset.

This is a particular problem as I have to send batches of records to different LRCs and this is preventing me doing so as each LRC would get records for outside their area.

Hi David

This problem has been reported to Dorset Software. They are currently working through all the bugs reported, but as yet have not responded to this particular bug yet - it still remains 'unactioned' at present.

I can't foresee a problem with this, I reproduced the problem here before I reported it and so therefore it should be fixable.

I'll update you on this as their work progresses,

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Delay in the release of Version 6.9.3

Unfortunately the release of version 6.9.3 has been put back a couple of weeks, namely as Dorset Software need more time to fix all the bugs reported (with a high number of bugs reported during the last couple of days before the deadline).

JNCC should receive a copy of version 6.9.3 by the 20th November, after which we need a few days to ensure that the upgrade runs successfully etc. We will then make the upgrade available on the Recorder Software website - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/recorderWebsite/upgrades.htm.

Once we have made version 6.9.3 available as an upgrade, we will work towards putting the full version (standalone and network) CD's together, and will need to test these before release.

I sincerely apologise for the delay in releasing version 6.9.3 and hope you will bear with us.

Many many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Ps. David I have checked Dorset Software's progress on the specific bug you mention and it should be fixed in V6.9.3.

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah, does mean there's also a delay to the species dictionary update?

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

I have responded to Charles via email, but for the benefit of other users, this does unfortunately mean that the species dictionary update is also delayed, as a working species dictionary upgrade kit is required to run the update (included in version 6.9.3).

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah,

Is there any more news on the anticipated release date for 6.9.3?  I don't know if we should go ahead with our currently planned upgrade to 6.7.2a or await 6.9.3 which depends on how soon the upgrade is available.

Many thanks,

Andy
Assistant Ecologist
Hampshire Biodiversity Information Centre

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi Andy

I've have added a new post regarding V6.9.3 (please see "Update on V6.9.3 progress -24th November 2006"), but until testing is complete, it is really difficult to give an anticipated release date. I promise to let you know more as soon as I can.

In terms of upgrading, what version of Recorder are you using at the moment?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah,

We are currently live on 6.3 but have finally managed to upgrade a test version of our database to 6.7.2a.  Because of the problems associated with getting this upgrade installed we are reluctant to go live with this and then have to go through the whole process again with 6.9.3.  Conversely, it may be sensible to wait until we have upgraded to 6.9.3 in test before we go live with the same version.

At the moment 6.3 doesn't have any XML reports functionality so we are limited to using the Report Wizard.  The benefit of 6.7.2a is that it does enable XML reports so we can write more complex reports.  However, as I understand it 6.9.3 also enables reports to be linked to a saved template to provide better formatting, etc.  So we are not sure when to 'dive in' and upgrade to a newer version.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Cheers,
Andy.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi Andy,

6.9.3 has many other improvements, especially to XML Reports. You can select parameters from the taxon dictionaries, locations hierarcy and recorders database instead of having to rely on typing free text. There is also a slew of options for reporting on grid references and spatial ranges in XML Reports. In other words, XML Reports has got a whole load more powerful in the latest version.

Another nice feature is the decoupling of the dictionaries with the main app, meaning dictionary updates can be rolled out far more frequently because they're not tied to app release cycles.

The upgrade from 6.7 to 6.9 is relatively painless process, so I'd recommend you give it a go, especially if you're using XML Reports.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Hi Andy (and Charles)

I've just added another post regarding the release of the V6.9.3 upgrade. Though testing continues, I am hoping to make the upgrade available on the Recorder Software website by Friday 8th December.

In terms of whether to upgrade to V6.7.2 and then V6.9.3, or to just upgrade straight from V6.3 to V6.9.3 it's up to you really. I guess it depends on whether you have time to upgrade to V6.7.2 before the 8th December.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Even with Mike Weideli here, we couldn't get the last upgrade to operate at all. I've seen no debate about solving our problem with this and have this terrible apprehension that the December upgrade is going to do just the same as we were never investigated. Please tell me that this is not so, I need to be able to export and import.

Update on V6.9.3

Hi everyone

I sincerely apologise for not making V6.9.3 available on the website on Friday as hoped.

We have provided the resellers with a beta version of the upgrade and the species dictionary update for testing purposes, and have most comments back now. Provided no major concerns are raised, we will put V6.9.3 on the Recorder Software website as soon as we can.

Unfortunately, this won't be today due to staff illness, but will hopefully be on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC