1 (edited by Rob B 09-10-2006 16:31:44)

Re: Invasive Speices

THe Trust is in the process of fomulating a policy on invasive species and would therefore like to know which exist on our landholdings.

A draft list was composed and although I've made a rucksack-driven report with what is included in R6, the following speices are not so far included:

Arthurdendyus triangulates    New Zealand flatworm
Australoplana sanguinea var. alba    Australian flatworm
Trachemys scripta elegans    Red-eared terrapin
Rana catesbiana    American Bullfrog
Pacificastacus leniusculus    American signal crayfish
Myriophyllum propernaciodes   
Caprella mutica    skeleton shrimp (caprellid)
Salvinia molesta    giant salvinia
Trapa natans    water chestnut

If there is demand from other sources, would you consider including a wider list of invasive species at some time, please?

Many thanks now, Rob.

I would very much like to see a checklist of invasive species within Recorder as we're thinking an invasive species report to go into our enquiry responses.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Australoplana sanguinea var. alba  (Australian flatworm) is still not found within the Species Dictionary. Is it likely to be added?

Many thanks

Aisling

Aisling May (Carrick)
Data Manager - Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service)

Arthurdendyus triangulata (note spelling!) is in the additional names list.  Make sure you search unrestricted - I have made a similar error before, and thought names were absent.

Murdo

Dear Rob & Aisling,

All the species are now in the Species Dictionary apart from Australoplana and Salvinia and I note that the DAISIE project (http://www.europe-aliens.org/) does not record any UK occurrence for either. If you can provide verification of their occurrence here, then I shall add them to the Dictionary.

Syrphus has already pointed out the miss-spelling of Arthurdendyus triangulata. I note other instances in your list. You are not going to find things if you search under the wrong spelling so do check your sources! We also want to be careful not to wrongly spelled names to the Dictionary – there are enough in there already!

For your information, here is what I have found:

Arthurdendyus triangulates New Zealand flatworm In as Arthurdendyus triangulata (Dendy, 1895) in ‘List of additional names’ TVK: NHMSYS0001910870

Australoplana sanguinea var. alba Australian flatworm DAISIE: no european records

Trachemys scripta elegans Red-eared terrapin In as Trachemys scripta subsp. elegans (Wied-Neuwied, 1839) in ‘List of additional names’ TVK: NHMSYS0000375431

Rana catesbiana American Bullfrog In as Rana catesbeiana Shaw, 1802 in ‘Natural History Museum Checklist of Amphibia’ TVK: NBNSYS0000041453

Pacificastacus leniusculus American signal crayfish In as Pacifastacus leniusculus (Dana, 1852) in ‘Fauna Europaea checklist of freshwater and terrestrial Crustacea of Britain and Northern Ireland’ TVK: NHMSYS0000377494

Myriophyllum propernaciodes Correct spelling is Myriophyllum proserpinacoides. NB this is a synonym of Myriophyllum aquaticum (Vell.) Verdc., which is already in the ‘BSBI list’ TVK: NHMSYS0000460832

Caprella mutica skeleton shrimp (caprellid) In without an authority in the Environment Agency Check List (which is not released to Recorder users) TVK: NHMSYS0000560490

Salvinia molesta giant salvinia DAISIE records as hybrid Salvinia x molesta with records for Austria, Belgium & Italy

Trapa natans [L.] water chestnut In as Trapa natans L. in the Berne Convention (Appendix I) TVK:NBNSYS0000163906

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

We had a record of Australoplana sanguinea from Bangor last year which was verified by the National Recorder for England and Wales (Dr Hugh D Jones). I can send you details and a distribution map which he sent me showing a considerable number of records for the species.

Aisling

Aisling May (Carrick)
Data Manager - Cofnod (North Wales Environmental Information Service)

Dear Aisling,

Based upon what you have told me, there is enough evidence to add the Australoplana. Here are the Taxon Version Keys:

Australoplana sanguinea var. alba (Dendy, 1891) TVK: NHMSYS0020503207

Australian flatworm TVK: NHMSYS0020503213

Our coverage of terrestrial flatworms was a bit poor. I have done some checking up myself and, as a consequence, have also added Kontikia ventrolineata (Dendy, 1892) TVK: NHMSYS0020503220 to the Dictionary.

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile