Re: Twite - a mammal?

Just doing a RWZ report where I selected 'Mammalia Cls' from the MAMMALIA dictionary and checked 'expand taxonomic groups'.

Twite Carduelis flavirostris was reported.

Thats not right - even I know that.

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

Very odd, twite appears in the list if you use Matt's method but not if you select 'All Taxa from list' under the MAMMALIA checklist. Using 4.15.4 and dictionary P.

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

3 (edited by Matt_tullie 15-07-2010 14:58:12)

More of the same.

Select Reptilia Cls in RWZ and it reports Amphibians - Natterjack Toad and Ranidae Ord

FUNGI Kng from FUNGI - Lots of Beetles.

And the gem- select AVES from BIRDS and marvel at the output. Mosses, clubmoss, conifers, flowering plants, ferns.

What a hoot!

M

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

Try going to the Taxon Dictionary, select the Species of Conservation Concern List, and search for 'Acanthis flavirostris'. You will find it under Mammals, but it is a synonym of Carduelis flavirostris. So it is not a Report Wizard problem, rather there are some issues with the content of the dictionary.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Don't know about the reptile amphibian confusion but both the others might also derive from the SOCC list, where vascular plants appear within birds and beetles within fungi. To add anohter llevel of confusion wheatears appear within the vasc plants list here, although there is at least an excuse over the 2 genera of Oenanthe (wheatears and water dropworts).

G

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

6 (edited by ser 02-09-2010 07:57:08)

Sorry Charles, I dispair of the taxon dictionary!

How on earth could a list with such obvious errors get passed through to Recorder and WHY wasn't it corrected in update Q since it was known in dictionary P

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record