Re: Strange common names

Just noticed some strange common (English) names in Recorder 6 on Dictionary version 0000000N

On the VASCULAR PLANTS AND STONEWORTS BSBI... list

Thymus polytrichus is "Wild Garden"
T. pulegioides is "Large Garden"
T. serpyllum is "Breckland Garden"

All three are correct on the Recorder 3.3 list

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Considering the time and expense on the Species Dictionary, I've noticed a lot of strange common names, some could be misleading:

e.g.s taken from Recorder 3.3 list

Clinopodium  - Calamint Cultivar
Lepidoptera - Unidentified Lepidopteran
Odonata - Indet Dragon/Damselfly
Diptera - Indet. Fly
Coleoptera - beetles (most other common names are singular and capitalised)
Amphipoda - Amphipod tubes
Ciconiiformes - Ciconiformes

I've noticed the Mammalian orders are plural

The fact that you can get a different common name depending on the list used to enter the records is annoying!

Craig Slawson

Dear Craig,

Yes, they are strange names and it would be nice if they weren't in the Dictionary! However, the Dictionary is a collection of checklists and aims to accurately reflect what is in those checklists. 'Large Garden' and 'Breckland Garden' also occur on the BSBI website. And yes, I am afraid that different lists may employ different common names: badger on one, European Badger on another.

With regard to syntax, plural (vernacular) names are lowercase; so: Goose, geese.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

I realise that this may not be quite the correct response, but where I know there to be a problem I have taken to just editing the names in the dictionary tables. I appreciate that there is a risk that my edits will be undone at some future update, and following on from Charles's comment, clearly my action compromises the integrity of the source checklists, but as far as I am concerned "Large Garden" is a ridiculous name and if the custodians of the lists are not bothered about putting it right I will.

The species dictionary will never work effectively if all partners do not shoulder their burden of responsibility for expunging such sillyness

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

5 (edited by stevemcbill 14-07-2010 07:52:00)

Surely this is a matter, in the main, of communication ??

The first examples given by Craig are as follows:

Thymus polytrichus is "Wild Garden"
T. pulegioides is "Large Garden"
T. serpyllum is "Breckland Garden"

Aren't these merely shorthand  versions of "Wild Garden Thyme", "Large Garden Thyme" and "Breckland Garden Thyme" in which BSBI have missed out the word "Thyme" because they felt it was so obvious as the Genus was "Thymus" and thereby unnecessary to add for tehir Botanist members?  So, in cases like these when recorders report them to the NBN, or when NBN staff notice them themselves, why can't they be reported to the List owner for correction/amendation and resubmission - not difficult surely ??

Craig's second set of examples are another matter altogether.  In my opinion some of these (shown below) are fine:

Clinopodium  - Calamint Cultivar
Lepidoptera - Unidentified Lepidopteran
Odonata - Indet Dragon/Damselfly
Diptera - Indet. Fly
Coleoptera - beetles (most other common names are singular and capitalised)
Amphipoda - Amphipod tubes
Ciconiiformes - Ciconiformes

I find it hard to believe that many, if any, LRC will accept records purely identified at Order level BUT if we assume there are such 'poor' records in the system then I think the English/Common Name of some of the above seem fine (e.g. Calamint Cultivar, Unidentified Lepidopteran), Indet. Dragon/Damselfly, Indet. Fly).  In fact, I would go as far as to say that some standardisation of term here would be useful and would suggest that the term "Indet." is the better compared to "Unidentified" and that the following term should be in English - so I would prefer to see "Indet. Butterfly / Moth", "Indet. Dragonfly / Damselfly, Indet. True Fly, Indet. Beetle, etc.).  I am not really familiar with Amphipoda nor Ciconiiformes so would not wish to comment further on these final 2 examples  but would suggest that something similar could be used.  Again, NBN staff could/should communicate with the relevant List owner/provider having spotted such areas or been apprised of them by recorders and contributors to the NBN Gateway, etc.

Getting all the dictionaries  (Lists) up to scratch has progressed well over the last few years but refinements will take a lot longer and we all need to keep communicating and pushing for updates, name additions, and corrections where necessary.  Communication on dictionary elements and changes MUST be a two way affair between the NBN Dictionary staff and the List Owners !!

Steve,

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi Steve,

In my second list of strange common names, I think you have missed the point I was trying to make.

For example, I agree that there should be an entry for "unidentified Lepidopteran", BUT that is not the ORDER taxon 'Lepidoptera' - this is the parent of ALL moth and butterfly species, NOT just an entry for an unidentified specimen - it means that if we 'talk' in English all butterflies and moths are members of 'Unidentified Lepidoptera' which is plainly silly!

In the Clinopodium example, there should be two entries:
Clinopodium (Eng.: Calamint)
Clinopodium 'cultivar' (Eng: Calamint cultivar) (which is a child of Clinopodium).

I do not propose to explain all the others ,but I agree with Rob - this silliness needs to be edited out of Recorder ASAP, they do not improve the credibility of the program

Craig Slawson

Charles,

Re the Thymus entries, I've just been on the BSBI web-site and in their only key:
Thymus polytrichus - Wild Thyme
T.pulegioides  - Larger Wild Thyme
T. serpyllum - Wild Thyme (I'll admit this isn't very helpful as it is only in Breckland!)

So BSBI have changed their naming and there is no mention of "Garden" in any of the names!

Craig Slawson