Re: Polygon Reports

Is it possible to produce a species list for all records within a polygon?

Hi Barry,

I don't know if there is a quicker way, someone else may highlight this. However you can use the report wizard to extract records from a polygon and then export the results to MS Excel. From here you can filter the species collumns by 'unique records only' to produce a species list.

Hope this helps - let me know if it doesn't, Mary

You should be able to do this using the report designer. Use the report wizard to report on the observations in the polygon. If you select New Layout then when you get to the filter result you will be able to select Report Output – New Report Template. This opens the report designer where you will be able to design a report using group bands. If your report contains a group band for the species and you leave out the detail band you should end up with a species list. The help for the report designer is very good. It contains step by step instructions for designing a simple report and for designing a more complex report with group bands. When you are in it, clicking F1 will open the help, provided you don't suffer from any of the usual help problems. Some users have had problems with the report designer but if it works for you this should be OK. Can anyone tell us what problems they have had with it? Are they related to using it for high volumes of data?

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally, I have ahd a number of problems with the report designer, probably can't remember most of them at present, but I don't think they are related to volume of data, since I have mostly been trying to produce species lists for a site, typically returning less than 200 results.

I have set up a report which returns a list of species observed at a location, the fields produced are (preferred) Location_Name and File_code (these two used only in the header), taxon group, and scientific and common names. The results set is sorted taxonomically and the result I would like to achieve would be a series of sections each headed by taxon group. I have so far been completely unable to produce the taxon group headings, the rest of the report works fine.

Another minor problem is that when I click Report Output in the wizard, the Run report template button is always greyed out, even though I have a valid template saved. To use my template I have to click New report template and then open the template from the file menu. Annoying but not insurmountable.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre