Re: Taxonomic changes

Hi

This is more a sort of 'how does it work' query. If I import records of a species (Abrostola triplasia) prior to a certain 'name change' date does Recorder recognise that the scientific name has changed and updates accordingly. The problem with this particular species is Abrostola triplasia is still in use but now for a different species and Abrostola triplasia is now Abrostola tripartita.

So I guess the specific question I am asking is 'if I enter Abrostola triplasia with a date of 1999 does recorder handle this and enter it as Abrostola tripartita or just keep it as Abrostola triplasia (which would then be the wrong species). Or is it a case of ensuring that this sort of informartion is processed at the verificartion stage prior to data entry? (Often the people entering the data will not know what the species is and so will accept what looks like the correct species name from a list even if it's actually the wrong species)

Cheers

Iain

Re: Taxonomic changes

Hi

I've come up with a similar prolem where a user has noticed an 'old' taxon and requested an update to the record in the database. Now this is a simple change... unless of course I had to do this for every record requiring an update in the database. Can anyone explain to me (roughly) how recorder handles this sort of thing (and more so the previous related problem) so I can reassure users that taxonomic changes are dealt with through an update process within recorder?

Cheers

Iain