Re: Braconidae dictionary?

I’ve been sent records of Braconidae determined at the NHM and NMS, but am having trouble locating a checklist to import them against.

A couple of species in the genus Aleiodes (Aleiodes circumscriptus and Aleiodes dissector) appear in the enigmatically named “List of additional names” but I can’t find any of the other species in any Recorder checklist (dictionaries are updated to N).

These I can’t find: Aleiodes gastritor agg., Aleiodes pictus agg., Aleiodes similis, Charmon cruentatus, Clinocentrus cunctator, Heterogamus dispar, Homolobus annulicornis, Homolobus infumator, Macrocentrus bicolor, Macrocentrus nitidus, Pygostolus falcatus, Pygostolus otiorhynchi, Zele chlorophthalmus, Zele deceptor

I can find four of these in MapMate however, where the source is cited as ‘Kloet & Hicks, 1978 …”, so clearly not all the records are for recently described/renamed species (though some of the rest may be).

Should I create my own entries (in “List of additional names”?), or is there a list somewhere that I am failing to find…?

Thanks, Keith Balmer

I am on leave at the moment but can certainly add the species to the 'List of Additional Names' and generate Taxon Version Keys for you. It would greatly help if you can supply correct authorities for the names (otherwise I can try and source these myself) and also the component species for the aggregates.

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks Charles. This group is way beyond my ability to provide the information that you seek (and it isn't in the records that have been provided), but they were determined by Gavin Broad and M.R.Shaw. Gavin is Curator (Hymenoptera) at the NHM, so I suggest you contact him for the details.

Regards, Keith

I shall run the names past Gavin and will let you know what Taxon Version Keys apply once they have been added to the Dictionary.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

Keith,

Here are the Taxon Version Keys for your new names:
ITEM_NAME         AUTHORITY    TAXON_VERSION_KEY
Aleiodes gastritor agg.        NHMSYS0020545880
Aleiodes pictus agg.                        NHMSYS0020545886
Aleiodes similis        (Curtis, 1834)    NHMSYS0020545700
Charmon cruentatus        Haliday, 1833    NHMSYS0020545705
Clinocentrus cunctator   (Haliday, 1836)    NHMSYS0020545706
Heterogamus dispar        (Haliday, 1833)    NHMSYS0020545710
Homolobus annulicornis  (Nees, 1834)    NHMSYS0020545711
Homolobus infumator        (Lyle, 1914)    NHMSYS0020545712
Macrocentrus bicolor        Curtis, 1833    NHMSYS0020545724
Macrocentrus nitidus       (Wesmael, 1835)    NHMSYS0020545725
Pygostolus falcatus       (Nees, 1834)    NHMSYS0020545728
Pygostolus otiorhynchi  (Boudier, 1834)    NHMSYS0020545729
Zele chlorophthalmus  (Spinola, 1808)    NHMSYS0020545733
Zele deceptor     (Wesmael, 1835)    NHMSYS0020545734

Regards,

Charles Hussey

I have had a record for Apanteles pinicola (Braconidae). Not in the dictionary and googling inconclusive even as to whether this is the correct name.
Is there a checklist in the pipeline? Can anyone shed anyfurhter light?

Thanks

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust