Re: Error in species statuses

I've just been building a protected species layer for planning work and have discovered any annoying omission in the Recorder Species Dictionary:

If a species is listed as protected under a specific designation, this is not always the case for its sub-species - it is my understanding that if a species is protected, so are all the sub-species

E.G.

Sterna hirundo is on Birds Directive Annex 1, Sterna hirundo subsp. hirundo is not

This causes a problem when selecting records using the Designation Sets filter if species have been recorded to sub-species

Craig
Staffs Ecological Record

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Error in species statuses

The designation of sub-species due to a parent species is not implemented automatically in the species dictionary at present. Designations of sub-species are added when they are flagged as far as I understnad. This is partly because it would be very difficult to implement and also due to complexity - we have to deal with a wide variety of taxonomic and designatory lists  - where the two forms of lists are out of synch it is particularly difficult to resolve.

Sorry, I can provide no specific solution to this problem. Perhaps simply to flag them up to us when you spot them?

Best Wishes,
Lynn