1 (edited by Janet Simkin 14-09-2009 14:21:47)

Re: Lichen taxon keys

I am trying to extract lichen records from R6.14 to DMAP for mapping, but have come across a problem with a few species when using the taxon_list_item_key and preferred_name together as the unique identifier.

The taxon_list_item_key is in the identifier to separate sens. lat. from sens.strict. taxa with the same preferred name, but for some species we seem to have records in the database for two taxon_list_item_keys although they have never been split. For instance Trapelia glebulosa is in the R6 species dictionary as NHMSYS0020039325 and most of the records are for this key, but there are also a few records for NHMSYS0000360812. Going to this key takes me to the same entry in the BLS species dictionary.

All rather baffling. Am I using the wrong key?

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

I have now investigated this further and understand a little more of what is going on.

For at least 20 taxa, some of them common species for which we have many records, we have taxon determinations that were input under old and new names using different versions of the dictionary, and these point to different taxon_list_item_keys. For instance Trapelia glebulosa is now in the R6 species dictionary as NHMSYS0020039325 and most of the records point to this key, but there are also a few records that point to NHMSYS0000360812. My understanding of the way the dictionary works is that after a name change the synonyms should all point to the same taxon_list_item_key, but perhaps I have got that wrong and I should be using some other key?

We need to get these taxa together somehow for mapping, so do we need to run a batch update to add a new determination to the older records to bring them up to date or is there another way? The report wizard manages to show them all together but I've tried to use the SQL in my own report and can't get it to work.

Any advice on how to get round this will be much appreciated!

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Janet,

In the example that you give above (TAXON_LIST_ITEM_KEY NHMSYS0020039325 &  NHMSYS0000360812) the PREFERRED_NAME field does point to the TLIK of Trapelia glebulosa (Sm.) J.R. Laundon. What you need to bear in mind is that the Taxon List Item table records the occurrence of a particular version of a name in a particular version of a checklist. As such, it is 'set in stone' and will not reflect any subsequent in changes in synonymy. Within the Species Dictionary, the NAMESERVER table is the palce where all the names in the Dictionary are mapped to their 'recommended' names, but you may need to talk to the Recorder Team to find out how best to utilise this within Recorder 6.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks, I understand the data model a little better now. Now my report is using the recommended name key rather then the TLI key and that seems to be working.

It leaves me with the problem of knowing which of two identical names is s.lat. and which is s.str., but I guess I'll have to edit the output to get that information in. For a future dictionary release would it be possible to included them in the taxon names?

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society