Re: Sql example in help file

My question  is with regards to the help file on reporting. There is some example SQL which is for temporary tables. The specific example is creating a temp. table for locations. the part which is confusing me a bit is that the temp table #Locations is created so that the location_key is the primary key. So it cannot be null. Yet the SQL select after the left join is selecting location_key being equal to null. Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Can you clarify where you are looking - which help file on reporting - I don't think you are talking about the Help files in Recorder itself.....is this a file which helps you write SQL reports?

Cheers,
Lynn

Hello Lynn,

I saw the code in a download that is available on the NBN forum which gives details about XML reports and SQL. I did not understand the last part of the SQL from LEFT JOIN. I was just looking for an explanation as to how that works? The code below is what I was looking at from the file.

Cheers for now

Gary

CREATE TABLE #Locations (Location_Key CHAR(16) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS PRIMARY KEY,
      Parent_Key CHAR(16)  COLLATE Database_Default)

INSERT INTO #Locations (LOcation_Key,Parent_Key)
SELECT L.LOCATION_KEY, L.LOCATION_KEY 
FROM 
LOCATION L
WHERE 
<Condition field= "L.Location_key" operator="equal" type="Location"  name="Select Locations" entrycount="-1" />
WHILE 1=1 BEGIN
INSERT INTO #Locations
  SELECT L.Location_Key, Tinc.Parent_Key
  FROM Location L
  INNER JOIN #Locations Tinc on L.Parent_Key=Tinc.Location_Key
  LEFT JOIN #Locations Texc ON Texc.Location_Key=L.Location_Key
  WHERE Texc.Location_Key IS NULL
IF @@ROWCOUNT=0
  BREAK
END

Hi Gary,

On consultation with others here is an explanation of what the code is doing:

It just expands out the Location to get all Location including those in the Hierarchy below it. It is working downwards through the hierarchy.

Location keys (from the XML parameter and can be many ) go into the temporary table in both the Location and Parent field.

Main Loop

INNER JOIN #Locations Tinc on L.Parent_Key=Tinc.Location_Key

This line finds the  children of the Locations in the temporary table (ie it is finding the locations in the database which have as their parents Locations in the temporary table) The parent key is picked up from the parent of the temporary table, so in effect the original location key is put in the parent field for all its children.

LEFT JOIN #Locations Texc ON Texc.Location_Key=L.Location_Key WHERE Texc.Location_Key IS NULL

This Line ensure that we are only processing Location not already done by checking that they are not in the table

IF @@ROWCOUNT=0
  BREAK

The Locations  found are added to the table and the loop goes round until no new Locations are found

The final temporary table has the originally specified Location keys plus
all the children of these Locations. The parent key column contains the
originally 'seed' location key, not the true parent of the location. This
allows some flexibility in using the temporary table. For example you can
exclude the 'seed' locations by ignoring anything where the Location and the
parent are the same.

Hope this helps,
Lynn

Hello Lynn,

Thanks for your reply and yes, it has helped. As I understand it the temp table would get populated with the 'child' entries if a parent was one which was initially selected into it. Otherwise, if it was a child in the original temp table then no additional records would be added.
I can now see what the left join clause is doing. If that was not there then there would be an error as it would be possible that a duplicate entry was trying to be added.
I have been reading about 'self-joins' within tables and I guess this is an example of this?

Cheers for now

Gary