Re: Reporting info on tenure

I am trying to work out how to export information on Tenure (from the Other Info tab on Locations).  I would like to be able to export the Location Name along with the name and address of the landowner.  We would like to store all of our landowner details on Recorder, linked to the sites - but we need to be able to export that information.

I have tried fiddling about in Access, but I can't seem to find anything that links tenure and individuals.  There must be a link somewhere, because a person has to be in the individuals table before you can add them to the tenure tab.

Can anyone help?  I rarely use Access, so don't really know what I am doing - and would appreciate an answer in non-technical language!

Cheers,
Ellie

Eleanor Knott
Senior Records Centre Officer
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre
C/o Exeter Central Library
Castle Street
Exeter
EX4 3PQ

Eleanor Knott

Hi Eleanor,

You can export a location in the usual way - highlight the location in the location hierarchy and choose tools/export. You could write a specific xml report (or ask someone else to) which pulls out all the information you need in a format that you want. Or you could use a query (or two) in the linked access database - the owned_by field in the tenure table appears to link to the name_key in the individual or name tables. The addresses table also has a name_key and location name table you can use the location_key field (also in tenure table).

Hopefully that makes sense. Let us know how you get on and whether you need help writing an xml report - there are documents about that can help with this (eg Mike Weideli's excellent guide: http://www.lfield.co.uk/page7a.html).

Best Wishes,
Lynn

Thanks Lynn,

I have managed to get a list via Access of sites with the names of landowners attached.  I wasn't able to get the addresses at the same time - Access didn't like that, and went on about 'ambiguous outer joins'.  I managed to make it work with by linking two queries, but I need to read Mike's instructions properly to make it work for Recorder.

One question - we have two versions of Recorder 6 at the moment; standalone and networked.  We set up the standalone versions for our training day, and trialled the data migrating on the networked version (we haven't started using Recorder 6 as our main database yet).  I was able to make the xml reports work in the standalone version of Recorder 6 by simply pasting them into the correct folder.  I tried this with the networked version - no luck.  It couldn't seem to find them, even when I restarted the computer.  What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Ellie

Eleanor Knott

Dear Eleanor

Getting details for tenuire  can get complicated because there can be multiple Tenure entries and mutiple addresses for each tenure. Also tenure can be either individuals or organisations. However in the simplest case with either one individual or one organisation and only one address for each,  the structure given below in  Access should give a resonable result.  This should be useable in an XML report.  With regard to problem with XML reports on your netwrok version. Can you see any of the reports which come as standard with R6 (Reports menu then run). If so then you are probably putting your reports into the wrong folder. If not then further investigation is required as you may have a set up problem with the network version of R6. More information on your set up would be needed to help with this. . 

SELECT LOCATION.LOCATION_KEY
FROM ADDRESS AS ADDRESS_1 RIGHT JOIN (((TENURE RIGHT JOIN LOCATION ON TENURE.LOCATION_KEY = LOCATION.LOCATION_KEY) LEFT JOIN (ADDRESS RIGHT JOIN INDIVIDUAL ON ADDRESS.NAME_KEY = INDIVIDUAL.NAME_KEY) ON TENURE.OWNED_BY = INDIVIDUAL.NAME_KEY) LEFT JOIN ORGANISATION ON TENURE.OWNED_BY = ORGANISATION.NAME_KEY) ON ADDRESS_1.NAME_KEY = ORGANISATION.NAME_KEY;

Mike

Mike Weideli

You need to locate the reports that are standard as Mike has suggested that are used across the network. I can't remember exactly where these live - I don't think that they are stored locally (as on the standalone) but live on the file server (main server if you only have one). The easiest thing to do would be to find the existing ones and then you will know where to paste new ones.

Cheers,
Lynn

Dear  Eleanor

In a standard installation the reports  would be in    \Program Files\Recorder 6 \User Files\Reports\.   

Mike

Mike Weideli

Sorted - I had pasted the files in the right place, but Recorder didn't have the correct file path.  For some strange reason, it was able to see the standard reports, but not the ones that I had created.  Recorder was looking in N:\Recorder 6 Server\User Files\Reports - the file path should have been G:\NDrive\Recorder 6 Server\User Files\Reports.  Both file paths end up in the same location, and I've no idea why the standard reports still appered.

Thanks for the help
Ellie

Eleanor Knott