Re: Additional moth name

Hi Charles,

Please add the following moth species to the List of Additional Names...

Bradley Code: 2203
Taxon: Mythimna unipuncta
Authority: (Haworth, 1809)
Vernacular: White-speck
Parent: Noctuidae

This species is listed in other dictionaries with the vernacular "American Wainscot" which is not the common name used in the UK.

If you require any further details, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Dear Les,

Both names are already in the Species Dictionary.

Mythimna unipuncta is in both editions of the Bradley list (TVK NBNSYS0000006296)
White-Speck is in the Recorder 3.3 list (TVK NBNSYS0000171826)

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Hi Charles,

I understand this; however, TVK NBNSYS0000006296 (both Bradley lists) uses the incorrect vernacular of "American Wainscot" (which isn't used in the UK and we do not want to use) and TVK NBNSYS0000171826 has a badly-formed vernacular of "White-Speck" - the "S" should be lowercase. I also read somewhere that the Recorder 3 (1998) taxon dictionary shouldn't be used if at all possible.

At present, Web Services returns the wrong vernacular (which has been picked up by moth recorders as incorrect and queried as to why it wasn't "White-speck") and I'm sure I've read somewhere recently the Recorder 3 (1998) dictionary shouldn't be used either. For Web Services to return the correctly formed taxon/vernacular to our web site will require a new TVK(s).

Is there a way around this issue?

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill

Les,

My fault for doing things in a hurry. White-speck is indeed the correct form. This name has been added to 'List of Additional Names' with a TVK of NHMSYS0020530899.

I can't do anything about removing American Wainscot from the Bradley lists as they are published lists but, in the Namerserver, the 'recommended' status has been removed from both American Wainscot and White-Speck, with White-speck being flagged as the recommended common name for Mythimna unipuncta.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Hi Charles,

Thanks indeed - perfect!

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill