Re: Species not in lists

Hi

I have two apparently introduced species which have turned up from lists I am importing, that I can't find in the dictionaries:

Brunotartessus fulvus (Walker), F.Evans 1981: 130  - Yellow-headed leafhopper, originally from Australia where it feeds on Eucalyptus

Aphrophora gelida (Walker) - Boreal spittlebug, Canadian, on goldenrod

There doesn't seem to be a preferred list for Homoptera, as far as the updates I have installed, which I assume might explain their absence.

If anyone knows any more about the likelihood of these species being found on the South Downs it would be useful to know.

Thanks

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Dear Gordon,

I have now added both species to the Dictionary (please note that the scientific and vernacular nmaes get separate Taxon Version Keys) and these should appear in the next update to Recorder ((in the ‘List of Additional Names’)

Brunotartessus fulvus (Walker, 1851) TVK: NHMSYS0020503162
Yellow-headed Leafhopper TVK: NHMSYS0020503174

Aphrophora gelida (Walker, 1851) TVK: NHMSYS0020503168
Boreal Spittlebug TVK: NHMSYS0020503180

With regards to the last species, I am slightly concerned that it does not appear in ITIS Canada or the comprehensive COOL database http://rameau.snv.jussieu.fr/cool/index.php so I have wriiten to Paris to see if they can verify that this is the correct name to use.

Your Nature Conservation Adviser, Stuart Warrington, has also been asking for new Homoptera records – see my reply to his post about the deficiency of Hemiptera records in the Dictionary.

Regards,

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Thanks Charles,

The names are just the ones I had on the list supplied, and everything else comes via google, so it is entirely possible that they are not current.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust