Re: A NEW Micro-moth ?

It looks like we need a new entry to the Gelechiidae section of the Lepidoptera dictionary for the :

South American Tomato Moth - Tuta absoluta (Meyrick)

See the DEFRA Newsletter over at:

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/pla … 9Issue.pdf

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Dear Steve,

I am reluctant to add this species to the Dictionary. Here is why: It appears, at present, to only be associated with imported tomatoes. Once you can verify that there are sustaining populations 'in the wild' then it can go onto the British list. Fauna Europaea have already been 'ticked off by CSL Invasive Species Branch for reporting a species from Britain that isn't established here.

If you have a real need to record against this species then let me know.

Regards,

Charles

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

3 (edited by stevemcbill 13-06-2009 17:25:57)

Charles,

I understand your argument here and can see the reasoning behind it. However, I would ask that further consideration is given to how we monitor potential invasive or introduced species.

If we only have added species which already have a history of being found within the wild then I would ask how we are supposed to monitor species which through introduction in some fashion (e.g. food importation) are likely to become or could possibly become problem species or a part of our flora/fauna, in the wild, in the future ??

Surely it is important to monitor the introduction and spread (or decline) of such species ? Perhaps the development and maintenance of a separate Dictionary covering Introduced and/or Invasive Species (as previously suggested in another thread) would be a useful way to approach this subject !?!?

I would be extremely interested in comments and opinions from other recorders and LRC staff on this subject. Do others think it important and/or necessary to monitor such species and therefore to have them available in a Dictionary to enable their entry into Recorder ???

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Dear Steve,

There has been some discussion about this issue off-list. Your concerns are likely to be met through the recently-launched Non-native Species Information Portal - see the summer issue of the NBN News and at http://www.nonnativespecies.org. Certainly the need for a 'watch list' is recognised.

Regards,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile