Re: Interactive Map and Species by Location Different Results

Can anyone tell me why I might get different results when searching for the same species in the same place? I used NBN interactive mapping and Species by Location to search for the same species at the same scale and in the same location. I got different results though.

Could this be due to the age of the dataset being restricted on version or some datasets not being included on the interactive model?

Thanks,
Ellen

Hi Ellen,

could you provide more details so I can take a closer look - which species on the interactive map?  What area were you looking at?  Have you got an example of your Species by Location?  Were you logged in?

Thanks, Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for having a look. I'm looking at SK89 and I've gone through the amphibians. The data on the interactive map seems to show less records than the species by location. I noticed when I looked at palmate newt that a record appeared if I zoomed out quite a way (so that I could see from Sheffield to the east coast in one screen).

I wasn't logged in when I searched either of them.

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I just looked at palmate newt on sk89 and interactive map and it looks OK to me.  I think the issue is that the dataset for palmate newt records in the area of sk89 (Amphibian and reptile records in Lincolnshire) only provides public access to the data down to 2km.  Therefore, on the interactive map if you zoom in enough (eg with Gainsborough filling the view), it will by default turn off the 2km records.

To view the lower resolution records on the interactive map you need to expand the advanced settings for the species layer (the little cog icon in the blue title bar of the species layer), and tick 2km.

Let me know if this seems to be the issue.

Thanks, Jon

Jon, you genious! I could have sworn I pressed that button with no joy. Thanks ever so much for all your help.