1 (edited by ChrisR 13-09-2011 11:01:45)

Re: Phenology graphs

Has anyone done any work to produce phenology plots for species? I am producing NBN maps on my website for UK tachinids but it would be very useful to be able to show a graph showing which month/week records were taken. Also, it would be useful to be able to extract the total number of records on the NBN for each species - just to be able to assess rarity. Are there any nice tutorials describing how to extract the data with PHP/NuSOAP?  :)

Thanks, Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Hi Chris,

I haven't done this and am not aware of anyone who has. However, scanning the list of web services I can see it is theoreticaly possible using the One Species Data service. Taking heed of the warningsone might retrieve records for a species, a year at a time, and aggregate counts grouped by date to produce data to draw a phenology plot. You could also draw multiple plots to show changes in phenology with time.

Since that would be quite time consuming you would probably want to create a cache of results and only refresh this periodically. It might even be the case that you build the cache as an entirely separate process from your website. It is a job that could be much more efficiently done on the NBN servers than yours it seems to me. Why haven't they done this?

It prompts me to wonder about the validity of such a plot. Certainly, in the same way that you have to interpret distribution maps carefully since they can be a map of where recorders live, a phenology plot could be a plot of when recorders go out. The better recorded a species is, the less of an issue this would become, as always.

It would be interesting to know if there others who would like to derive phenology plots from NBN data.

Jim Bacon.

Jim Bacon wrote:

It prompts me to wonder about the validity of such a plot. Certainly, in the same way that you have to interpret distribution maps carefully since they can be a map of where recorders live, a phenology plot could be a plot of when recorders go out. The better recorded a species is, the less of an issue this would become, as always.

Of couse, there is also the problem of duplicate records should you not restrict the data to e.g. a single dataset.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

4 (edited by ChrisR 15-09-2011 16:08:11)

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it seems something that the NBN systems should be capable of, as they have sufficient  data to produce basic plots, as they do with maps.

I don't think that the limitations of phenology graphs should influence NBN's ability to return them ... even mapping has its limitations too, such as a lack of precision in the grid references. If the client website could obtain the number of records in the system then the client website itself could decide whether to ask for a phenology graph or not - and the NBN query could remove duplicate records fairly easily.

The NBN has a lot of data - we just need the tools to extract the common graphs (phenology/abundance) and we can display them and make use of them. Phenology is becoming a very common thing that people want to analyse, what with climate change. :)  As you said Jim, extracting the data to a client's database and then doing the work there seems to be a very heavy-handed way to do it.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,

Not sure if phenology is a rude word but my last attempt to comment on this subject caused me to be banned from the forum.

The gist of what I was trying to say was that you would have to know your dataset well to be sure that you could extract something related to species abundance from it. Presence/absence with time of year and the change in this over many years sounds reasonable though.

Jim Bacon.

I too was banned! Probably the automatic software spotted I was rambling inconsequentially. I won't let a little thing like that stop me however...

Don't forget to consider how to display the information once you get it - displaying seasonality is a hobby horse of mine, for species with long/all year long seasons I personally think it is better to use radar plots than bar/line graphs like I did here.

Another thing that bothers me and in all likelihood no one else in the world - I dislike people calling them "phenology graphs"! I have always understood the term phenology to be the study of the *change" in seasonal patterns - so it's only a phenology graph if the plot is comparing seasonal data from more than one time period (which the "phenology" in Recorder 6 doesn't). Dictionaries seem to agree with me, however I see that Wikipedia thinks the use of the term as meaning seasonal occurrence is OK, so perhaps it's just one of those evolving terms I should stop being pedantic about. :rolleyes:

This doesn't of course help you get the data you need.  I do agree aggregate data like this would be a useful thing to be able to access via NBN webservices - especially if you could restrict it by criteria such as datasets as Charlie suggests. :cool: There would doubtless be other uses.

Also nothing wrong with plots that show recording bias, as long as you are aware of it and question the results. I looked at the phenology of bumblebee records using the data at Kent records centre - it seemed to show a recent increase in winter activity, but was that just because an upsurge in recording meant more people were sending winter records in? IMO ad-hoc records are for producing questions, not answers.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

It seems ironic that the only people that seem to get banned are the legitimate posters ... I've reported no end of spammers that were allowed to post garbage with SEO/advertsiing links posted clearly in them.

I really like the radar plots - very interesting way to display the data and something I would consider seriously. For the Tachinid Recording Scheme I think my main interest is to just show seasonality ... to give readers an idea of how likely  they are to see them and to highlight the different broods. We almost certainly have too few records to compare yearly variations at the moment for all but the commonest species. I would also have to include lots of caveats to guide the reader in how to interpret the data - especially with a lot number of records. :)

Anyway, I'll see if the NBN developers can come up with something - otherwise I will have to think about sucking out all of the relevant records and making the graphs locally, which would be a bit of a pain.