Re: Installing Recorder on Windows 7

Dear all,

We recently installed and tested Recorder (both standalone and network) on Windows 7. We can confirm that the installation runs successfully, subject to the following:

•    Installation is best done using SQL ‘sa’ authentication, otherwise additional steps are required.
•    The installation path needs to be changed to a folder which the user can freely access.

These points have been logged as future improvements to Recorder but will need to be managed by the User in the meantime. Basic functionality was also tested post-installation and no issues were found.

Further details can be provided on request.

Best wishes, Mary

When I tried to install Management Studio Express from the Recorder 6 v6.15 installation disk with Windows 7, I was told there were ‘known compatibility issues’. When checking for solutions online I was told that my version of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (installed from the Recorder 6 v6.15 installation disk) wasn’t compatible with my version of Windows. I downloaded SQLEXPR_TOOLKIT and installed Management Studio Express using the download although I subsequently learnt that it would probably have installed if I had just clicked ‘Run Program’. Will we be able to have a version of Management Studio Express on the next version of the installation disks that doesn’t report issues like this with Windows 7?

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

After installing Recorder 6 v6.15.4.238 0000000Q, doing a backup using Tools - Database Tools - Backup database resulted in an exception message : Cannot open backup device 'NBNData_Backup(C:\Users\JOHNRA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\NBNBackup.bak)'. Operating system error 5(error not found) but Management Studio Express said the back up destination was c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\NBNData.bak. When I have encountered this problem before I have changed the backup location to the destination specified in Management Studio Express but Tools - Database Tools - View or Change Backup Location resulted in exception message : Access violation at address 0058C110 in module 'RecorderApp.exe'. Read of address 00000020. How can this be resolved? Until it is, I will need to do backups by detaching the database, copying it then reattaching it.

If you delete the backup device and recreate it, backups can then be done in Recorder 6 running with Windows 7. To do this you will need to have installed SQL Server tools, e.g. Management Studio Express. There is a download link for them in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=8317#p8317 . Once you have installed Management Studio Express it will be available on the Start menu.

On my Windows 7 PC, I click on the Start button (bottom left) and select All Programs, then Microsoft SQL Server 2005, then right click SQL Server Management Studio and select Run as administrator. You should then see a Connect to Server box where clicking Connect should take you into Management Studio. Once in it, you should be able to see NBNData if you click on the + beside Databases in the hierarchy on the left. If so, click on the + beside Server Objects then the + beside Backup Devices. Right click NBNData_Backup and select ‘Delete’. When it has been deleted, recreate it by right clicking Backup Devices and selecting ‘New Backup Device’. For Recorder 6 the backup device must be called NBNData_Backup and you will need to specify where it is to be stored. The Backup folder in your Microsoft SQL Server folder is probably the most appropriate location, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup.