Re: Modern Welsh county names

Hi

I notice that in R6 the names of the Welsh Unitary Authorities have changed, in most cases in an adverse way from the list that was in R2002. Would somebody please change them back?

Examples:

- The names are all now in English spelling, not the Welsh.
- Conwy (as the county is called) is listed and Aberconwy and Colwyn
- etc

I hope that this is a change that can be implemented without an upgrade to the whole of R6 so that it can be implemented sooner rather than later. Does anyone know if there is a file, somewhere, that can be downloaded and installed?

Many thanks to those who know such things - I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Ian

Same thing happened a long time ago with the Watsonian Vice-County boundaries. The original publication gave the VC name in many cases as the main city, thus VC55 was "Leicester" and not, as the Recorder list named it "Leicestershire" (same with "Chester" renamed by the Recorder list to "Cheshire").
This renaming ran all the way through the NBN work on the digitisation of the VC boundaries. There are good reasons to retain the original names and the "system-supplied" data within Recorder should supply and include an option to use the Watsonian names instead of us having to retype them.

Hi Ian

Thank you for raising this. Having a brief look into this issue it appears that the Recorder 2002 Admin areas are more up to date than those in Recorder 6.

We are going to look at this and some other issues raised about specific admin areas as part of the consolidation phase of Recorder 6.

The good news is that we are able to provide any ammendments made to the Admin areas as a dictionary update rather than a complete version upgrade. We will do this as soon as we can, however, at the moment we are putting all our efforts into making V6.9.3 available (initially as an upgrade and then as full standalone and network versions).

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC