Re: NBN Gateway Version 4.0 released

GATEWAY VERSION 4.0

Release date: April 2011

NBN GATEWAY

Improved interactive mapping

This new mapping tool, based on Microsoft's Bing maps, provides a new way of exploring records through the NBN Gateway. Records can be visualised against a backdrop of road maps and aerial photographs, as well as site and habitat boundaries. The interactive map provides five main ways of exploring data enhancing the NBN Gateway’s current mapping facilites.

The release of the interactive map is part of ongoing development of exploration tools on the NBN Gateway and we would be interested to hear your comments and suggestions for future improvements in this mapping tool. Please add your suggestions to this forum post.

1. Single dataset density mapping

For the first time the new mapping tool allows direct exploration of over 550 datasets provided by 130 organisations. Species density mapping per recorded grid square allows a visual representation of species recording within a single dataset. This may be further refined by applying a year filter and clicking on an individual grid square to show recorded species and records. This visualisation of the species and records is based on the access granted by the providing organisation.

2. Species designation density mapping

Species designation lists provided through the NBN Gateway can now be visualised as a species density map per recorded grid square for all or specific contributing datasets. Similar to the mapping of single datasets, further refinement is available through filtering by year range or individual grid square, based on the access granted by these contributing organisations.

3. Single species mapping

The new interactive mapping tool extends the possible ways of exploring the 64 million records, for 42,500 species, provided through the NBN Gateway. The facilities provided by the current grid map and interactive mapping tool are still available, the new interactive mapper provides a new way of exploring the records. Visualisation of the species records with this new tool may be restricted to a specific year group, dataset(s) or resolution. Further details of the records and species recorded in individual grid squares can be viewed by clicking on the specific square. These record details are only available if download access has been granted by the respective contributing organisations.

4. Display of site boundaries

Records for single datasets, designated lists or species can be viewed alongside more than 16,500 sites provided by 18 organisations. List of species and records within and intersecting these sites can be viewed through the site report for each site, accessible through clicking on the required site.

5. Display of habitat layers

National BAP habitat layers, currently provided by Natural England and Countryside Council for Wales, may be also viewed on the interactive map. Further information supplied with each polygon can be viewed through clicking the specific polygon.

How do I use the new interactive mapping tool?

The interactive mapper can be accessed by clicking the map on the homepage or links present in the species search, dataset or designation pages. To map species records click on the species selector and then select the type of map you require. (single species, dataset or designated list). For species and designated lists a list of datasets contributing records is provided allowing restriction to specific datasets. An Info link is provided giving access to the metadata pages for each dataset. Information on the access you have to these datasets, as well as ones not selected or available, can be found by clicking on the Show Datasets Used button. Links to the organisation and dataset metadata pages from this dataset form provide the route for requesting better access to datasets.

Using the controls in the top left hand corner of the screen zooming in on the map provides visualisation of higher resolution records. These higher resolution records are only visible if you have sufficient access. Clicking on the starred circle button to the right of the species form provides further controls. These allow filtering on year group and fixing the resolution of grid squares. Left clicking on a grid square provides further information on the records within that square. This includes the dataset and organisation providing the data, list of species recorded in that square, with links to the taxonomic information for each species and details of records. These record details are available to users with download privilege for that particular dataset.

In addition to mapping species records you can map site boundaries or habitats by clicking on the Choose Boundary or Habitat respectively. Left clicking on a site provides a link to its site report page on the NBN Gateway. Left clicking on a habitat polygon provides further information for that specific polygon.

Further control on the display of the species, site or habitat layers on the map is available. Reordering these three layers in the layer control controls the ordering of the layers on the map. Layers visibility may be turned on or off or opacity changed through the controls available on clicking the starred circle button for the specific layer. Each layer also has a clear layer button to remove the layer from the map.

All,

We apologise for any poor performance of the new map tool. Demand has been higher than expected, and we are looking at bringing more server resources into use.

Paul Gilbertson,
NBN Gateway Developer

Nice to see some new facilities on the NBN mapping.  I had a "first look"  and play with the system mainly using one of the datasets I administer, the following comments are essentially those of a "new user" for the system, though I regularly use the old NBN interactive map.

OS Map Overlay:  The old interactive map had the OS 1:50000/1:25000 Maps as a background layers, I found this facility very useful when looking at species distributions.  The new system does not appear to offer either OS Maps and /or OS grid overlay, would it be possible to have OS maps as a choice of background layer along with the current choices.

Layers Boxes:  It is not immeadiately obvious what the function of the "starred circle" button on the Layers boxes is for.  Sometimes there was some rollover text, other times it did not show.  It took me some time to find some of the commands that are immediately visible on the old map relating to dot sizes etc.  I would suggest novice users would find these commands more easily if all of the commands were displayed as a default, with the "starred circle" button used to close the box down if wanted - ie set it up the opposite of what it is now.

Default Mapping options:  Related to the comment above regarding "advanced commands" - the current "default" way of mapping is only to display the dots at the resolution of the zoom being used and it only displays 1 level of dots at 1 time - ie only 100m dots or only 1km dots.  If you zoom down to the 100m level it is easy to miss the fact that there may be a 1km level dot next to it but this is not visible as by default it is turned off, particularly as there is no OS grid on the map.  I would prefer the "default" level to be set to "show all" no matter what level of zoom, ie the opposite of how it is set now as happens with the old interactive map.

Dataset Tab.  If you click on the "dataset" tab you can see which datasets have been selected / not selected / not available, but there is no way of choosing the datasets to map via this tab.  I did eventually find the dataset selection on the "species selector" tab, but this is not where I would immediately go to select a dataset.  Please add dataset selection commands to the dataset tab as well.

Species Selection Tab:  When, after mapping one species, I select a "new" species to map, then all dataset selections are overridden and I go back to the default "all datasets".  I would prefer this not to happen, as this makes working with a single dataset more time consuming.  There is an "select all" tab already present if needed.

Can this new mapping system map whole datasets or do multi-species maps? - I tried to map by "dataset" and did get a "loading" message on occasion but nothing seemed to happen.

First use following previous dabbling with the old map system

It would be nice if:

1. I could display just the intersected data e.g. LNRs with priority habitat X which have records of species - or species group - Y within boundary area Z as an option to the current show everything.

2. The map would zoom to an area containing the selected data sets, which makes also 1 relevant if I'm looking at VC 04 rather than the whole area in which buttercups occur.

3. I could save sets of selected layers so I could re-use these or have them as starting points when using the map next time, rather than having to start from scratch every time.

4. To be able to subtract layers too. If 1 is possible then can I use display occurrences of Species Y that aren't in habitat X

I agree with Matt's comments re Ordnance Survey maps but I suppose that what's available is part and parcel of the Bing dynasty. Grids a possibiliy though?

Steve

Steve and Matt,

Thank you for your comments and ideas. The new Interactive Map Tool is a first iteration, and we hope to improve it in future by incorporating our users' suggestions.

The IMT does do single dataset mapping, but we are currently have teething troubles. Please stick with us whilst we iron out the wrinkles. For a team of our size this addition to the Gateway has been a difficult undertaking and some last minute issues have sprung up.

Both of you will be pleased to hear that OS mapping and Atlas grade maps are top on the list of improvements scheduled for the tool. I can't give any indication of release dates yet as work plans still need to be agreed.

I hope you find the new tool useful, and thank you for your feedback.

Paul Gilbertson,
NBN Gateway Developer

Improved interactive mapping

Very impressed :D

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Been doing a bit more playing with the maps.  What I am finding is that some records which have grid refs at 100m resolution do not appear to be displaying at this resolution - anything in the dataset with a grid ref at the 100m level was set to display at this level.

Matt Smith wrote:

Been doing a bit more playing with the maps.  What I am finding is that some records which have grid refs at 100m resolution do not appear to be displaying at this resolution - anything in the dataset with a grid ref at the 100m level was set to display at this level.

Just checked some of my "100m" records again and compared the two interactive windows.  In the old version I can see all of the expected 100m dots as I zoom in.  With the new version, a proportion of the 100m dots are "missing" and the record does not display that the 100m level.

Matt if you could give me more details of the records you were looking at I will look into this further

Best wishes
Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Graham French wrote:

Matt if you could give me more details of the records you were looking at I will look into this further

E-mail sent.

Feedback

Hi
I really like the new interactive mapping tool in association with Bing. A few comments about its use:
1.    One obvious thought though is either OS or Bing have not allowed access to OS mapping. How much more use would it be were there such access.
2.    When you open the window there is a log in box top left. This is a little confusing when you?ve already logged in to NBN anyway. When I log in it says I?m logged in as? does this mean I was already logged in, is it necessary what functionality change does it bring?
3.    I use Bing regularly, your linked maps do not have that functionality. E.g. entering and then zooming to a post code.
4.    When you click on a record on the map (a square) it opens a pop up with three tabs and always starts with the basically useless tab of the species, we know the species we are searching by that anyway. Much more useful would be to open the record tab.

Hope these are some use, please try and sort out the OS mapping

Species Selection Tab:  When, after mapping one species, I select a "new" species to map, then all dataset selections are overridden and I go back to the default "all datasets".  I would prefer this not to happen, as this makes working with a single dataset more time consuming.  There is an "select all" tab already present if needed.:D