Re: Add Sample Data to Record Card

When you design a record card at the moment (Species for a Place) you can set up the taxon occurrence data attributes to display as columns in the grid. However, many methodologies also require attribute data at the sample level, and at the moment this is a two step process - enter the data using the card, then find the sample in the observations hierarchy and add the sample data.

I would like the ability to select from available sample attribute data attributes and add them to the card, in the same way that taxon occurrence attributes are added. But in this case, the attribute entry boxes would appear as fields in the card header. Perhaps they could be added on a second tab so the existing header does not get more cluttered?

A further idea would be to allow the survey details to contain a list of the preferred sample attributes and occurrence attributes, so for example a phase 1 survey could be associated with the attributes normally gathered at the sample level. Then we could do 2 things, first, when the survey is selected in the record card the attributes in this new second "header" tab and possibly the occurrence attributes in the grid could be automatically created. Secondly, the preferred attributes for the survey could be shown on a new tab at the occurrence and taxon level as simple data entry fields (i.e. just a label and a text box or select drop down) so accessing the measurements that are regularly used within a survey becomes a simple task. So you could have a tab at the occurrence level called "Pref. Attributes" containing a Count of Females plus a Count of Males entry box - much easier than using the grid.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Re: Add Sample Data to Record Card

I completely agree with this request, this would make data entry so much less laborious!
We have partly solved the problem with a database trigger that creates all sample measurements related to a survey (managed in a survey_measurements table) each time a new sample is created. But this still requires a two-step process for data entry.

Frederic