Re: Wales species name

Hi,

Is it possible to differentiate between species common name in English and Wales in NBN Gateway Taxonomy web service?

I had a look in the request and response for some options but couldn't find anything.
I also noticed that synonyms return in alphabetical order which most of the time the English name doesn't appear to be at the first entry.

Any suggestions or a work round would be much appreciated.

Thanks

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

I have to resort the taxon response by the taxon version key to get the English name to be the first on the list.
I don't know if that is the best way of going about it or if anyone know a good alternative please do let me know.

Many thanks

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hello

It is currently not possible to distinguish between common name in English, Welsh or Gaelic present in the NHM species dictionary when using NBN taxonomy web services. This issue has arisen recently following the improvements to the web service so that the service returns all taxa in the species dictionary irrespective of whether they have corresponding records on the NBN Gateway or not. Ideally the solution is to add the ability to select the languages you require in the request and I will make this suggestion as a future improvement.

Until then sorting by taxonversionkey will work for many species but not all of them. This is the best working solution I can think of at the moment.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Graham,

Many thanks for this.

If you could get a mechanism incorporated in webservices whereby indicating the language of choice when requesting a species name was implemented then that would be excellent and exactly what is required.

Many thanks.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hello

As we are not aware of the current need to return either Welsh or Gaelic names in the taxonomy web service this web service has now been changed so that it only returns scientific and English common names (Welsh and.Gaelic names being excluded). It is planned to add a language filter to future versions of the taxonomy web so that users can select which language(s) they wish returned, including Welsh and Gaelic names. If the inclusion of Welsh or Gaelic names is important in your use of this web service could you please let me know

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Many thanks Graham - that sounds like an excellent short term solution and a very workable way forwards for the future.  Thank you for getting involved in this - much appreciated.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/