Re: Locations Window

I would really like it if I could have the information that is useful for finding sites in this window. The interface here seems to be built based on say SSSI's where they all have unique names. We do not have the luxury of making names that suit us. Many names go back to Saxon times in the real world and I have 14 Park Woods for example. At present I have to look at each one to decide if it is the actual Park Wood I need.

So if I could search on Names and say File Code then I could distinguish. Alternatively if the information being displayed could be customisable I could have File Code - Name and then sorted that way I could actually scroll down to the information I need without wasting so much time.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Re: Locations Window

Hi Tony, don't know if this helps but if you look at Tools - Options, under teh general tab in the bottom right there is a button marked Choose nexto the legend Extra Location Search Columns. If you click this you can select Location Type, Spatial Ref and File Code which then appear alongside the location name in the Location Search box. I haven't checked now that this also works within the import wizard, but I think it does.

On your other problem, assuming you are importing from XL, you could combine your location name and grid reference into a new column and use this as the location name for the purposes of the import wizard. This should sort out your different Park Woods (not tested but can't see why this wouldn't work)

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust