Re: How to install SQLReports.zip

I am trying to install this addin, downloaded from the NBN web site.

The problem is that the "Install" button is greyed out on Tools - Install - Add-in Module.  I am logging in  to Recorder with system manager privaleges.

Recorder 2002 ver 2.3.7.8
MS Access 97 SR-2

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

To install addins, Recorder needs to register the addin with Windows and this requires local machine administration rights.  So although you have full control over Recorder itself, it sounds like you don't have the required rights on the local machine to install the addin.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks for replying John.  I agree that it does seem like a permissions thing.

However, I am local administrator for my machine with full control rights.  I checked also that I have full control over the c:\Recorder 2002 folder, I do. 

If you have any further ideas. . .

Richard

Hi Richard

Did you get any further with this problem?  Although using Recorder 6, I have had the same problem at one of our satellite sites.  User has full admin rights on server/network/local PC etc , and still the Install - Add-in Module is unavailable!  I have never seen this before. 

Thanks

Catherine

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

No,  I have not.  I am just about to take anual leave so I will be doing some following up on my return.  I did try re-installing Recorder on another PC but got exactly the same problem.  I will post any progress made in due course.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Did you get a chance to look at this issue again?  It's now happened on a 2nd network install i've set up and I still have no leads as to what the problem is!!!  I'm working with full admin rights over everything on network and local PC. 

Thanks,
Catherine

Catherine

Hi there Catherine,

Just a thought, did or do you have both R2K and R6 on that machine?

If you do, we noticed that you can either have the addins working with one or the other, but not both.

A regedit search for JNCC will tell you; I seem to remember a thread on the smartgroup about this but can't find it!

Cheers now, Rob.

I have eventually come back to this issue and am pleased to say that I have discovered the (or at least an) answer.   The documentation says that to install addins it is necessary to be logged on to the pc as an administrator.  However, I am working in a corporate environment and we never (are not permitted to) logon in this way. 

The solution.
Create a local user on my pc
Add this user to the administrators group
Login to pc with local account
Install addins
logout
login with network account
Job done.

I have been unable to discover why this works when a networked login that grants local administrator rights does not.  nevertheless I hope this answer will help others.

Richard Wilkinson