Re: Hosting

Hi

Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere else. I had a quick look at the Indicia forums here and at the wiki but couldn’t find the answer.

I noticed that in this thread(http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1020), John mentions that “For installation, you would typically be using a server hosted by an organisation such as BRC”. Which organisations are willing to host the SQL?

I’ve been asked to look at alternative providers for our website and notice that very few support PostgreSQL. None of the top three UK web hosts mentioned on this comparison site (http://www.hostratings.co.uk/) does. Will this be an issue if we want to host SQL on our own shared server? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two ways of hosting? If we use Indicia for online biological recording, will this affect our bandwidth requirements? What kind of space on the server does it require if it’s hosted by a third party or hosted by our web host?

I look forward to hearing any comments. I'm totally new to all this so hopefully I have asked sensible questions :)

Cheers

David

[color=blue]David Angel[/color]
[color=blue]Data Officer[/color]
[color=blue]The Wildlife Information Centre[/color]

Hi David

I'll try and explain fully the situation with Indicia hosting to make it clear, so please excuse me if I waffle! Firstly, as you have noticed most popular web-hosting packages support just MySQL as a database platform. Unfortunately MySQL is excellent at what it does, but is currently very limited in it's capability to store and process spatial data - in particular it does not properly handle reports which request the occurrences falling inside a polygon. It also has weak support for "procedural" code embedded in the database itself. PostgreSQL on the other hand has a very rich support for spatial data and is free and Open Source, which in turn makes it well supported by other mapping tools (it's pretty easy to draw PostgreSQL data onto a Google Map or a desktop GIS for example).
So, our approach to this dilemma has been to split an Indicia based website into 2 parts. The "Warehouse" is where we put the PostgreSQL database. This part provides an administration website plus a set of web services providing access to the data and validation tools. The second part is the bit you get to write - a website that allows your participants to enter their observations, report and map them. It's completely up to you how you go about this, but we are providing PHP classes to make the task extremely simple, and will also be providing reference implementations in the Drupal Content Management System so you can get going without writing any code. Now the good thing is that all of this will run easily on the vast majority of web-hosting packages.

So, whilst the actual online-recording websites will run pretty much anywhere, the options for running the Warehouse are as follows:
1) Host your own web server. The good news here is that all the software required on the server is free and Open Source. I also would be surprised if the bandwidth required was significant in todays terms.
2) Use a web-hosting package. Whilst the packages that support PostgreSQL are limited, there are some, for example http://www.nethosted.co.uk/uk-web-hosting.php and http://www.devisland.net/, though I can't vouch for either of these. The former in particular does seem to have good feedback though, but devisland also seem to offer Java hosting - I'll come back to this later. For the ultimate in power and flexibility most hosts will provide a Virtual Private Server - effectively your own virtual machine which you have a lot more freedom over, though it is quite a lot more expensive.
3) Share a server with a partner organisation that is willing and capable of hosting the Warehouse on your behalf. At the moment the only organisation I am aware of planning to do this on behalf of other organisations is BRC, but that does not mean there won't be more.

Remember with options 1 and 2 there is an overhead of installation and administration of the warehouse - for example you will need to setup an appropriate backup strategy and so forth.

One of the things you may want to think about when selecting a host is whether you want to expose your data as "spatial web services". The way we are doing this is to install a package called GeoServer. This runs alongside the PostgreSQL database and allows GIS and web-mapping packages to request maps and map data directly from the database using a standardised method. So, for example, it is easy to dump data onto a web-map, Google Earth or your GIS. To do this requires the ability to run Java on the server and it would be worth asking a potential web host if they can support GeoServer before going down this route (unless of course you don't need to expose the data spatially).

That's probably enough waffle for now - I hope it has answered your questions.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John
Thanks for the reply. Things are now a bit clearer.
By "expose the data spatially" do you mean that people will be able to see it/download it to a map?
Thanks again
David

Hi David,

Yes, that's right. The PostGIS database format is a very popular format for storing data which includes GIS data, so there are lots of tools that support it. The one we have focused on is called GeoServer, though it is by no means the only one. GeoServer which runs on a web server alongside a PostGIS database and/or a set of shape files. This in turn accepts requests for the map data in your database from other programs running on the internet, using a number of internet mapping standards. For example, you could request a KML file for displaying the data in Google Earth, or a map layer for displaying on a web-mapping tool like Google Maps.

Best WIshes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John

thanks for the info.

I will get in touch with BRC and see what the time scales and costs are for hosting the warehouse side of things. I think it will be a wee while before we are ready to roll this out but it's good to plan ahead to see what we will need.

David

Hi David,

Plans at BRC are that we will have a Warehouse on line by the end of August, thanks to John van Breda. However, due to other committments, I don't expect to be getting conversant with it and putting it to use until November so that is the date from which some support will be available from us.

There would be no costs attached to the use of our Warehouse although it is feasible that a scheme could grow to such enormous proportions that it exceeded the capacity of our server, at which point the scheme would need to negotiate an alternative. I wouldn't anticipate any technical difficulties moving a database if this was ever necessary.

Jim Bacon

Hi Jim
Thanks for the information. We may look at hosting our warehouse ourselves while we set up our online recording and then transfer it across once we are ready to go live and the BRC warehouse is ready.
Cheers again
David

Hi Jim,

I work for CEDaR in Northern Ireland and have been in touch with John about using Indicia to set up online recording as part of some of our Habitas.org.uk websites. We are about to set up a virtual test server on our network and have a go at getting Indicia working - it is all new to us having used ASP for the dynamic aspects of our web sites.

We would be very interested in the warehouse hosting that BRC are planning to offer so I'll be interested in any updates there might be in November.

Many thanks for the info.

Fiona
CEDaR Website Officer
Centre for Environmental Data and Recording

Fiona McCrory
CEDaR Website Officer
www.nmni.com/cedar

Hi,
We have the Warehouse running in a variety of different server environments, including Linux/Apache, Windows/Apache and Windows/IIS with FastCGI or ISAPI. Please could you let us know what sorts of problems you are experiencing?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Just as an update to this topic, BRC have two Indicia Warehouses running and are happy to accept enquiries from anyone interested in using them. One is a test warehouse where you can mess around and try things out. The other is our live server for operational surveys. The test server is not backed up and is periodically used for our own development testing but is a fine way to start getting in to Indicia.

Email me for further details about setting up an account.

Jim Bacon
Biological Records Centre