Re: Weaver's Wave (Moth) not selectable on website distribution maps

Hi,

I've been notified that a moth species map isn't selectable on the Moths Count website (www.mothscount.org), specifically Weaver's Wave Idaea contiguaria. Having checked my TVK filter file supplied to our web developers and the NBN dictionary, the key of NHMSYS0000520548 seems to be consistent with requirements (having checked against other species TVKs), so I'm at a loss as to why the species isn't available to view.

Intriguingly, the species NBN map is available on the UMoths website!

Any ideas?

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Hi

When I run the query I get the following TVKs=NHMSYS0000520548,NHMSYS0000551129,NHMSYS0000502928,NBNSYS0000171688,NHMSYS0000502929,NBNSYS0000100042,NHMSYS0020676726,NHMSYS0020676727,NBNSYS0000005783

and for the subspecies britanniae TVKs=NHMSYS0000502928,NBNSYS0000171688,NBNSYS0000005783

So if your records are against one of the other TVKs they won't show up if you just query on NHMSYS0000520548? Worth checking the other TVKs to see if that is the problem

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

Thanks Nick,

I have numerous species of moth recorded at at all levels (binomial & trinomial) which download maps to our website satisfactorily using the same principle of selecting the top-level NBN key (taxa, not vernacular) in our filter.

All our record for Weaver's Wave are subspecies britanniae but I am on the understanding that the top-level NBN keys capture and expand to these lower taxa? Or have I misunderstood, even though this works for other taxa?

I've asked Ian Kimber of UKMoths what NBN key his site uses for comparison.

Mmm...

Les Evans-Hill

4 (edited by Nick 06-08-2010 09:20:59)

Hi Les

I see that the maps are being retrieved on your site http://www.mothscount.org/maps/94/NBN_Maps.html?filter=W&species=NHMSYS0000520548 but the distribution differs to that shown on the NBN site http://data.nbn.org.uk/gridMap/gridMap.jsp?allDs=1&srchSpKey=NHMSYS0000520548

However, I see that the main problem is not that you can't get the maps but the fact that the details are not being returned. There are work arounds to get the details but if you can confirm that you are simply using Grid Map that will narrow down the problem

Cheers

Nick

BTW I checked the examples of the code and there doesn't seem to be a problem - see http://data.nbn.org.uk/nbnexamples/ws-gridmap.jsp?tvk=NHMSYS0000520548 - so this suggests that perhaps the problem is with the filters?

Hi Les

Perhaps worth finding out from your web developers how they have implemented this - check out the examples on http://www.nbn.org.uk/Guidebooks/Web-services-documentation/the-web-services/Grid-map/examples.aspx - especially the Simple grid map seems to be all that you are needing?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your help here. I'll have to check with our developers how they've implemented the code and the filter I provided.

I'm convinced now the key I proved is correct. I checked the distribution on both maps (our website via your link and the Gateway) for just NMRS data and they are both the same.

I'll advise on the outcome.

Les Evans-Hill

Hello Les

I am guessing that the species list is being generated dynamically using the NBN species list web service filtered by datasetkey for moth dataset and your list of taxonversionkeys for each moth species (excluding the infraspecies taxa). If so then I think the reason Weaver's Wave is not appearing in the list is that it has only been recorded at the subspecies and not species level in the moth dataset.

In the update you sent recently (I have loaded it on the NBN Gateway and it will go live at the end of this month when the monthly Gateway update is done) there are 2 additional records of the Weaver Wave recorded at the species level. If my hunch is correct Weavers Wave should then appear in the list so you do not need to anything

I have also been through all your other species recorded as a trinomial (ie infraspecific taxa). All of them apart from one have records recorded at the corresponding species level and so are OK. The missing one is Marsh Mallow Moth (Hydraecia osseola tvk=NHMSYS0000520468). These have all been recorded as Hydraecia osseola subsp. hucherardi tvk = NBNSYS0000006468 and so this moth does not appear on the species list on the moth count website. To add this species you will need to add its tvk NBNSYS0000006468 to the list of taxonversionkeys used to filter the species list web service request.

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham,

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your hunch. Unfortunately (in the case of Marsh Mallow Moth) an update of the TVK filter with our web developers is about £100 at time and I've just done one, so another update at the moment is not an option, but I've noted it as a problem that will need addressing.

Les Evans-Hill

Hi Graham,

Just to let you know your hunch was right! Weaver's Wave now appears correctly and Marsh Mallow Moth remains unavailable due to having no records at species level. Brilliant!!

Les Evans-Hill