Re: DMAP Addin

Hi all,

Does the DMAP AddIn (DMAPServer.ocx dated 21/08/2007) work with R6? I've followed the Help file and the export options it states I should be getting are non-existent.

I also note this Addin isn't available from the downloads pages.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Les

The DMAP OCX no longer works. It is on the list of known issues, but has as yet not been scheduled for fixing. There is, however, an option to use XML reports to do the DMAP export. This uses a different approach to the DMAP output of generating a csv file which DMAP can read. This involves setting DMAP up in a different way and it does work once you understand the different approach required. The disadvantage of the approach once  set up is that there are a few more processes to go though to get the file and  you can't get the data via the report wizard. The advantage is that you have more  flexibility to control the output. Instructions on setting this up both in Recorder and DMAP are available at www.Lgield.co.uk/downloads/DMAPReports.zip.  As well as instructions the zip file contains  a number of reports including some which produce the same results as the .ocx.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Les

The link should be http://www.Lfield.co.uk/downloads/DMAPReports.zip.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Or, you could have a look at AditLink
http://www.aditsite.co.uk/content2.htm ;-)

Hi both,

Thanks, I thought I was loosing the plot! I'll take a look after my break.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

We moved R6 onto a new server six months ago and I've now just gone to do a DMAP export and realised that I've forgotten how I did it before the move! 

I thought I used an add-in; re-found DMAPServer.ocx from the old installation; installed it okay; selected Tools->Export Data->DMAP export, clicked through all the options and everthing seemed to be going fine until I got:

'EExporterError: Database Name not in registry - export cannot be performed.'

I then found this thread that says that this addin hasn't worked for the last 3.5 years, so was I doing something else instead? I'm sure it was something simple like this.

So, sorry for the dumb question, but what is the preferred way to do a DMAP export these days please? (I've looked at the Run->Dmap Output->OS->XXX  XML methods but they seem overly complicated. I just want plain vanilla .dis and .nam files derived from gridref and species columns. I can do my own fancy .par files).

(I have a workaround for now. I blew the dust off an old perl script that I wrote yonks ago that converts a plain text file of records to DMAP. At least that still worked okay!)

Thanks, Keith

The  XML method mentioned in the post above is not the latest on this. There is an addin which take the output from an XML report and generate the DMAP output in the normal .dis and .nam format. This adds and extra menu item  (DMAP) which when clicked generates the files. It is attached and  will be included on the Recorder 6 web site very shortly. In its simplest form this is easy to use and requires just the spatial ref and the recommended taxon name in the report. It works with Wizard reports and XMl reports.  it is, however,  flexible and can do a lot more if required.

I did think the original addin still worked as long as you avoided  specifying any abundances. From the error message I suspect though the original version uses the linked Access database and you haven't got this set up or the link to it in the registry is missing.

Post's attachments

DMAP_Extractor_Addin.zip 346.75 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-03-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Thank you Mike. Just what I needed.

I think it must have been this method that I'd used before because I found I already had a File Group set up in DMAP pointing to the output of this addin, complete with a .par of the same name.

I've rechecked my old R6 installation add-in folder and now found LCDMAPExtract.dll in there which I'm guessing was a forerunner of this latest addin which is now called LCDmapExport7.dll?

Cheers, Keith