1 (edited by brianmiller 21-09-2006 15:19:07)

Re: Exporting multiple Surveys with no data in them

Does anyone know how I can export the top level Survey of around 15 surveys in one go please? I can do it by exporting each one separetely, but it would be good to be able to do them all in one go, so if I update any of them the receiving recorder copy will get those updates too. There does not seem to be a way to set up a Rucksac and doing it via recording scheme export, it requires records to be within them.

Thanks

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

I'm not sure I understand why you can't use an Export Filter, and a Recording Scheme linked to the filter. Can you explain more?

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Sorry, yes.

I have created a whole load of Surveys from scratch. They have no records in them yet. What I now want to do is export all these new ones to import into our outstation office copy of Recorder 6 so they can be entering records into these too.

What I may want to do later is change the date allowed from to be an earlier date, and so to be able to update the outstation copy with those changes too, BUT only for the survey level, no records. Because there are around 15 surveys I would prefer not  to have to export each one separately.

The recording scheme export routine does not seem to allow for this.

Hope this explains better.

Brian

Brian Miller

Thanks Brian, I understand now. I'm afraid I don't know of a way to do this from within the Recorder application. It should be possible to manually copy the records into an Access table and zip that up for import using the zipped Access import format.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

OK, thanks John. I thought this might be the case, but thought I would check anyway.

Brian

Brian Miller

Hi Brian,

How about populating each survey with a single, dummy record then doing an export for that record set in the Complex Filter options. Make the record something that will stand out. An example I've used to test this kind of thing has been plain ol' 'Homo sapiens'.

Your satellite will get the survey formats that you want & when you come round to uploading their data, the dummy record will show up as the only duplicate.

It's a workaround, but may be simpler than the access options.

Cheers now, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Having looked at what you suggested it would seem to be the easiest option at the moment. Going a bit further with it though we have Watsonian Vice-counties as a location and by creating the dummy records to the top level of this location I can be sure it is a dummy, and I can create a Rucksac of the locaiton. Opening the rucksac I can go to Tools, Export Data, remove the tick for Incl Subsites and export them all that way.

Thanks for the workaround.

Brian

Brian Miller