Re: GetSpeciesList sort order

I have created an interface that uses GetSpeciesList to perform a data search of a circular region. Everything works fine except that I seem unable to influence the order that species are reported using the attribute of sort="Scientific" or sort="Common". The order returned is always the same and pseudo-taxonomic (but not right). Here's a small example from returned data:

Erinaceus europaeus (West European Hedgehog)
Talpa europaea (European Mole)
Mus musculus (House Mouse)
Lutra lutra (European Otter)
Muntiacus reevesi (Chinese Muntjac)
Rattus norvegicus (Brown Rat)
Sciurus carolinensis (Eastern Grey Squirrel)
Aglais urticae (Small Tortoiseshell)
Aricia agestis (Brown Argus)
Inachis io (Peacock)
Ochlodes faunus (Large Skipper)
Pieris brassicae (Large White)
Polygonia c-album (Comma)
Thymelicus lineola (Essex Skipper)
Anthocharis cardamines (Orange-tip)
Celastrina argiolus (Holly Blue)
Gonepteryx rhamni (Brimstone)
Nymphalis antiopa (No common name)
Polyommatus icarus (Common Blue)
Maniola jurtina (Meadow Brown)
Melanargia galathea (Marbled White)
Pyronia tithonus (Gatekeeper)
Pararge aegeria (Speckled Wood)
Gasterosteus aculeatus (Three-spined Stickleback)
Cottus gobio (Bullhead)
Oncorhynchus mykiss (Rainbow Trout)
Phoxinus phoxinus (Minnow)

Does this make sense, or should I continue to look for the bug in my code?

I would quite like (correct) taxonomic order, but this still doesn't seem to be an option?

Regards, Keith

Hi

I don't use GetSpeciesList but looking at the output, it should be fairly easy to put the results in an array and then sort based on Scientific or Common. What code are you using?

The difficulty will be to sort taxonomically - you need to be able to retrieve additional data for that.

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

Hello Keith

Species lists are sorted alphabetically on the NBN Gateway (either by scientific or common names) and not taxonomically and the NBN web services should reflect this. Looking at your list  I am not sure the sorting is working and will flag this up to be looked at.

It would be ideal if lists could also be sorted taxonomically but am not sure how big a task that would be to implement on the NBN Gateway and web services and how complete this information is in the NHM species dictionary. Something to look into.

Best wishes

Graham

some never heard about. I'm learning

[url=http://www.mono-propylene-glycol.com/]propylene glycol[/url]
[url=http://www.mono-propylene-glycol.com/]propylene glycol suppliers[/url]
[url=http://www.eol2000.com/]Potassium Formate[/url]

I have implemented my own sort algorithm for now which sorts firstly by TaxonReportingCategory and then by either ScientificName or CommonName. (If there is no CommonName then it sorts by ScientificName). This allows me to present the data in a reasoned order.

If the Gateway's equivalent to Recorder 6's INDEX_TAXON_NAME.SORT_ORDER could be made available in the web service response then it would be possible for me to add a taxonomic sort option (at least to the degree of consistency of this data field anyway). Maybe this could be considered for 3.5?

Regards, Keith