Re: Rucksacks/Reporting

I have loaded some records in from 2009. I would like to use these as the basis for creating a rucksack which could then be used for input to reports or recording cards.

I thought that I might be able to copy the details from the events into a rucksack. But that did not work. So, I selected via SQL  taxon_list_item_keys (would like to have selected by date but not sure how) from the taxon_determination table and pasted those into a notepad file. I then copied an existing rucksack file(one of the system supplied ones) deleted the taxon contents and pasted in my selections.
When I went into Recorder 6 software and tried to look at my created rucksack file it caused an exception error. But, I was able to create a recording card with the rucksack file that I created.

Also, I would like to create checklists that could be taken out in the field for surveys/observations. As above they would be based on previous entries or selections of a species set e.g. butterflies. I have created a basic one via the reporting suite but I was just wondering if anyone else has done this rather then me completely re-inventing the wheel in terms of creating a new report.

Cheers for now

Gary Pocklington

Not sure gary, but I have had exceptions occurring when I have created rucksacks manually, caused by duplicate item keys

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Hello Rob,

Your diagnosis is correct I had some duplicates in the file. Thanks. I have done a bit of further investigation on selecting from the taxon_determination table and have got some SQL sorted which allows to select a date so, that should help to eliminate selecting multiple occurrences.

Cheers for now

Gary

If you begin your SQL query with SELECT DISTINCT the result will only include one instance of each item key. This does not work in all situations, e.g. it can conflict with the ORDER BY clause etc. but for simple queries it usually works fine

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre